English for Academic Purposes - 20 weeks
Course information for - 2024 entry
Offered at 2 locations
This course will qualify you for university studies by improving your academic English. It aims to develop the advanced reading, writing, listening, speaking, grammar, computer and study skills required for further study at ACU, for Diplomas, undergraduate degrees, and postgraduate programs. It will prepare you for the language, academic and cultural demands of studying at ACU. In English for Academic Purposes, you will develop:
- Comprehension, critical thinking, notetaking skills and vocabulary
- Academic speaking and writing skills
- Further knowledge of English grammar
- The ability to communicate on issues relating to their field of interest
More Course Information
In the English for Academic Purposes, assessment is continuous. Students undertake a variety of assessment tasks, which may include writing an academic essay with appropriate referencing, leading and participating in a tutorial discussion, giving an oral presentation and taking in-class English proficiency tests.
When you successfully complete this course with an appropriate grade can meet the English requirements for further study at ACU.
- With a result of 85% or above you will meet the entry requirement for postgraduate Teacher Education courses
- With a result of 80% or above you will meet the entry requirement for undergraduate Teacher Education courses
- With a result above 75% or above you will meet the English language requirement for an ACU course requiring IELTS 7.0
- Students with a result of 65-74% will meet the English language requirement for an ACU course requiring IELTS 6.5
- Students with a result of 60-64% will meet the English language requirement for an ACU course requiring IELTS 6.0
- Students with a result of 50-59% will meet the English language requirement for an ACU course requiring IELTS 5.5
- Students with a result below 50% will not meet the English language requirement for any ACU course
English for Academic Purposes focuses on developing the English language proficiency and approach to academic study that you will need to successfully complete university level courses. At the same time, our courses transition you into university study, enabling you to become familiar with the campus and resources and services available to ensure success.
The assessment tasks are similar to those that you will undertake in university courses at ACU and require you to use campus library resources, including subject-specific databases. You will have the opportunity to focus on their own area of interest, such as teaching or business.
Overall IELTS score is 1.0 below the minimum requirement for a chosen major course.
|Weekly cost : $400|
|Total cost : $8000|
Phone: +61 3 8676 7040
9am-5am AEST (leave a message after hours).
Important Note on Fee
Tuition fees quoted above are for commencing students in 2024 who undertake a normal full-time load. Fees are reviewed annually.