If you are an international student accepted into a course at ACU, you may need a student visa to study in Australia. It is important to understand the process of applying for your student visa. Read our guide below.

Do I need a student visa?

Most international students studying in Australia require a student visa. For courses that last for 3 months or less, you do not require a student visa and the University will not issue you with a Confirmation of Enrolment.

Find out more about visa eligibility from the Department of Home Affairs

How to apply for a student visa

Once you have accepted your offer, we will issue you with a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). You will need your CoE to apply for a student visa.

You must apply for your visa through the Department of Home Affairs (DHA).

Apply for your visa on the DHA website

Many students use the services of an education agent to process their visa application.

Find an ACU education agent in your country

DHA must be satisfied that you can meet certain requirements to study in Australia, and that you are a Genuine Student (GS), before granting you a student visa. To be recognised as a Genuine Student (GS), academic study must be your primary purpose for coming to Australia.

Read more about a Genuine Student entrants on the DHA website

Visa conditions

Student visas are normally granted for the duration of your course of study. The following conditions apply:

  • You must complete your course within the Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) duration
  • You must not undertake more than one third of the units in your course online
  • You must undertake at least one face-to-face unit in each main teaching period

It is your responsibility to be aware of and comply with the conditions of your student visa.

Read the full list of visa conditions on the DHA website

Arranging visas for family (dependents)

If you intend to bring family members with you to Australia, they will be required to travel on a lawful visa.

While you are in Australia, you will be responsible for supporting any dependents (family members). You must pay tuition fees for school-age dependents who study in Australia.

Learn more about applying for visas for family members on the DHA website

Staying for graduation and beyond

If you wish to stay in Australia for your graduation ceremony, you may need to apply for a Visitor-class visa.

Apply for a Visitor visa on the DHA website

You can also consider applying for a Temporary Graduate visa, which will allow you to live and work in Australia temporarily following your studies.

Apply for a Temporary Graduate visa on the DHA website

Extend your student visa

International students on a student visa must complete their course within the duration of their CoE. It may, however, be possible to extend your visa.

Find out more

Change your education provider

If you have not completed the first six months of your principal course at ACU, you must seek approval from us if you wish to enrol with another education provider. 

Read more about release for international students on a student visa

Permanent residency

If you are granted permanent resident status while you are studying in Australia, you must advise the University. You can do this by completing and submitting the Notification of Permanent Residency (PR) Status form on Student Portal.

To be eligible to pay domestic student fees, you must submit the PR form before the census date for your current semester of study.

If you submit the PR form after the census date, you will remain liable for international student fees for the remainder of that study period. You will be eligible to pay domestic fees at the beginning of the following semester.

You might also like

Find an ACU agent

University agents help students like you apply to study in Australia. Meet with one of our education agents in your country.

Find an agent

Find accommodation

Download our accommodation guides, learn more about the renting process, and search homestay opportunities.

Explore options

Health in Australia

If you are studying in Australia on a student visa, you’ll need Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). Discover what is required.

Read more

Apply to study with us

Ready to start your overseas adventure? Find out if you’re eligible for your chosen course and how to apply.

Apply now

Have a

Ask International

Online enquiry

For priority response,
make an online enquiry.

Make an online enquiry

Connect with us

Chat to our team via social media.