The ACU Foundation Studies program is specifically designed for international students and will provide you with an alternative pathway to your first year of undergraduate study at ACU.
After you complete Foundation Studies, you will gain guaranteed entry* into the ACU undergraduate degree of your choice, provided you achieve the grade point average and English proficiency levels required for your chosen degree.
About Foundation Studies
Success starts with building the right foundations. If you are an international student and do not have the equivalent of an Australian Year 12 qualification, Foundation Studies may be the pathway for you.
Foundation Studies will prepare you for undergraduate study at ACU by providing a course specifically designed for Australian Catholic University. As a Foundation Studies student you be immersed in the distinctive culture of the University. You will become familiar with ACU facilities, resources and systems and with the academic expectations and assessment models used in undergraduate degrees at ACU.
The Foundation Studies program is offered over 3 x 10-week terms. Each term is followed by an exam week and break week(s). You will have 22-25 hours of scheduled class per week, a total of 720 hours over 30 weeks.
Why Foundation Studies?
- Entry into undergraduate study: Gain guaranteed entry to your chosen ACU undergraduate degrees as long as you achieve the grade point average and English proficiency level required for your degree.
- Adapt to university academic environment: Set yourself up for success at ACU and beyond by developing your academic foundations, study skills and confidence in the English language.
- Be part of the community: Benefit from being part of the ACU community from the moment you enrol. You will be an ACU student from day one with a student ID card and access to all campus facilities including free Wi-Fi, library resources, student welfare and support services, and lots of fun activities and events as well.
- Meet new people: You'll have plenty of opportunities to meet and interact with your peers and can build connections and study networks for your time at university.
- A supportive learning environment: Benefit from small classes and receive structured, personalised support from dedicated teachers experienced in working with students with an international background.
- High quality program: The ACU Foundation program meets the requirements for Foundation Programs which have been registered on CRICOS for delivery in Australia and is specifically designed to provide overseas students with academic preparation for entry into first year of undergraduate study or its equivalent.
How to apply
You can learn more about our Foundation Studies program, including how to apply, by viewing our course browser.
Foundation Studies is offered at ACU's Melbourne and North Sydney campuses for international students based in Australia. International students based overseas are supported to complete Foundation Studies online while border measures are in place restricting travel to Australia.**
View course information for 2022 entry
At ACU, every application we receive is carefully considered. Applicants receive offers to Foundation Studies based on their ability to meet the entry requirements for the program.
View Foundation Studies entry requirements
View minimum entry requirements by country
Minimum age requirements
Applicants must be at least 17 years of age on commencement of the Foundation Studies Program.
View additional instructions for international students under 18 years of age
Foundation Studies flyer
More information about Foundation Studies can be found in our flyer.
Download Foundations Studies flyer
*Students wishing to study Bachelor of Nursing will require additional evidence of English language proficiency.
** In 2022, Foundation Studies will be delivered online for international students based overseas.