English for Academic Purposes - 10 weeks
Course information for - 2022 entry
Offered at 3 locations
This course aims to develop the advanced reading, writing, listening, speaking, grammar, computer and study skills required for further study at ACU, for Diplomas, Undergraduate Degrees and Postgraduate Programs. It will prepare students for the language, academic and cultural demands of studying at ACU. Students in English for Academic Purposes will develop:
- Comprehension, critical thinking, notetaking skills and vocabulary;
- Academic speaking and writing skills;
- Further knowledge of English grammar; and
- The ability to communicate on issues relating to their field of interest.
More Course Information
In the English for Academic Purposes program, assessment is continuous. Students undertake a variety of assessment tasks, including writing an academic essay with appropriate referencing, leading and participating a in a tutorial discussion, giving an oral presentation and taking in-class English proficiency tests.
Upon successful completion of EAP students will meet the English language requirement of most ACU Diploma courses, undergraduate degrees and postgraduate programs.
- Students with a result of 85% or above will meet the entry requirement for postgraduate Teacher Education courses.
- Students will a result of 80% or above will meet the entry requirement for undergraduate Teacher Education courses.
- Students with a result above 75% will meet the English language requirement for an ACU course requiring IELTS 7.0.
- Students with a result of 65-74% will meet the English language requirement for an ACU course requiring IELTS 6.5.
- Students with a result of 60-64% will meet the English language requirement for an ACU course requiring IELTS 6.0.
- Students with a result of 50-59% will meet the English language requirement for an ACU course requiring IELTS 5.5.
- Students with a result below 50% will not meet the English language requirement for any ACU course.
English for Academic Purposes focuses on developing the English language proficiency and approach to academic study that students need to successfully complete university level courses. At the same time, it allows students to become familiar with their campus and the resources and services available to international students.
The assessment tasks are similar to those that students undertake in university courses at ACU and require students to use campus library resources, including subject-specific databases. Students have the opportunity to focus on their own area of interest, such as nursing or business.
English language requirements
Student needs to provide evidence of current language level with Versant, IELTS, PTE Academic or similar.
|Weekly cost : $380|
|Total cost : $3800|
Phone: +61 3 8676 7040
9am-5am AEST (leave a message after hours).
Important Note on Fee
The Tuition fees quoted above are for commencing students in the current year who undertake a normal full-time load. The Unit Fee is based on a 10cp unit. Fees are reviewed annually.
Tuition fees for continuing students may increase by up to 3 percent each year for the minimum duration of the course as provided on your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCOE). Students who continue to study beyond the minimum duration will have the relevant annual commencing rate applied to their fees for subsequent study periods.