The NRI is focused on improving patient outcomes and health systems with a particular emphasis on implementation science research, that is, the scientific study of methods to promote the uptake of evidence-based care for optimal patient outcomes.
- Conduct high-quality, multidisciplinary health research focused on improving patient outcomes and research translation.
- Advise, collaborate and consult on health services and translational research with clinicians, the health industry, government and consumers.
- Build research capacity through training and mentoring of research students, clinicians and career researchers.
- Create and sustain a collegiate, supportive and high-performance research culture attractive to the best researchers and research students.
The Institute’s research spans systematic reviews, trials, surveys, mixed-methods and qualitative research with a focus on health systems, de-implementation of low-value nursing care, and clinician behaviour change to improve patient outcomes. Some of our topic areas are:
- improved patient assessment and communication
- hospital-acquired complications
- stroke management
- pressure injury prevention and treatment
The NRI offers both postgraduate students, and clinicians and early career researchers opportunities to participate in our research program.