Dr Michael R. McClung
Areas of expertise: Osteoporosis, Metabolic Bone Disease, Evaluation of fracture risk, therapies for osteoporosis.
ORCID ID: 0000-0002-7827-0778
Location: ACU Melbourne Campus
Dr Michael R. McClung is an internationally renowned clinician, researcher and educator in the field of osteoporosis and metabolic bone diseases. He is founding director of the Oregon Osteoporosis Center, which has been involved in many of the important clinical studies that led to the availability of medications now used to treat osteoporosis and Paget’s disease of bone. He has published more than 250 papers and book chapters, is co-editor of a book for clinicians on disorders of bone and mineral metabolism and is an editorial board member for several journals in his field. Dr McClung is active in several national and international organisations and serves on the boards of the International Osteoporosis Foundation and the North American Menopause Society. He has participated in the development of evidence–based guidelines for the treatment of osteoporosis for several national and international societies.
Dr McClung is well recognised globally for his critical assessment of clinical trials assessing new pharmaceutical agents to reduce the impact of fractures associated with osteoporosis. His clinical trial expertise in addition to his breadth of knowledge on bone density measurement contributes to ensuring our work on assessments of modifiable risk factors to prevent fractures, is comparable to other large international clinical trials.
View IOF profile
- Chotiyarnwong P, McCloskey E, Eastell R, McClung MR, Gielen E, Gostage J, McDermott M, Chines A, Huang S, Cummings SR. A pooled analysis of fall incidence from placebo-controlled trials of denosumab. J Bone Miner Res. 2020 Jan 30. doi: 10.1002/jbmr.3972. [Epub ahead of print].
- Bouxsein ML, Zysset P, Glüer CC, McClung M, Biver E, Pierroz DD, Ferrari SL; IOF Working Group on Hip Bone Strength as a Therapeutic Target. Perspectives on the non-invasive evaluation of femoral strength in the assessment of hip fracture risk. Osteoporos Int. 2020 Jan 3. doi: 10.1007/s00198-019-05195-0.
- Lewiecki EM, Bilezikian JP, Kagan R, Krakow D, McClung MR, Miller PD, Rush ET, Shuhart CR, Watts NB, Yu EW. Proceedings of the 2019 Santa Fe Bone Symposium: new concepts in the care of osteoporosis and rare bone diseases. J Clin Densitom. 2020; 23:1-20.
- Kendler D, Chines A, Clark P, Ebeling PR, McClung M, Rhee Y, Huang S, Stad RK. Bone mineral density after transitioning from denosumab to alendronate. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2020;105. pii: dgz095. doi: 10.1210/clinem/dgz095.
- McClung MR, O’Donoghue ML, Papapoulos SE, Bone H. Langdahl B, Saag KG, Reid IR, Kiel DP, Cavallari I, Bonaca MP, Wiviott SD, de Villiers T, Ling X, Lippuner K, Nakamura T, Reginster J-Y, Rodriguez-Portales JA, Roux C, Zanchetta J, Zerbini CAF, Park J-G, Im K, Cange A, Grip LT, Heyden N, DaSilva C, Cohn D, Massaad R, Scott BB, Verbruggen N, Gurner D, Miller DL, Blair ML, Chen E, Polis AB, Stoch SA, Santora A, Lombardi A, Leung AT, Kaufman KD, Sabatine MS for the LOFT Investigators. Odanacatib for the treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis: the LOFT randomized clinical trial. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2019;7:899-911.
- Lewiecki EM, Kendler DL, Davison KS, Hanley DA, Harris ST, McClung MR, Miller PD. Western Osteoporosis Alliance Clinical Practice Series: Treat-to-Target for Osteoporosis. Am J Med. 2019 May 29. pii: S0002-9343(19)30441-3. doi: 10.1016/j.amjmed. 2019.04.044. [Epub ahead of print]
- Guagnelli MA, Winzenrieth R, Lopez-Gonzalez D, McClung MR, Del Rio L, Clark P. Bone age as a correction factor for the analysis of trabecular bone score (TBS) in children. Arch Osteoporos. 2019 Feb 27;14(1):26. doi: 10.1007/s11657-019-0573-6.
- Watts NB, Grbic JT, Binkley N, Papapoulos S, Butler PW, Yin X, Tierney A, Wagman RB, McClung M. Invasive oral procedures and events in women with postmenopausal osteoporosis treated with denosumab for up to 10 years. Watts NB et al. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2019 Feb 13. doi: 10.1210/jc.2018-01965. [Epub ahead of print].
- Compston JE, McClung MR, Leslie WD. Osteoporosis. Lancet. 2019 Jan 26;393(10169):364-76. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(18)32112-3.
- Goodwill AM, Campbell S, Henderson VW, Gorelik A, Dennerstein L, McClung MR, Szoeke C. Robust norms for neuropsychological tests of verbal episodic memory in Australian women. Neuropsychology. 2019;33:581-95.
Accolades and awards
- 2019 Chris and Margie Nordin Lecturer, Royal Adelaide Hospital, Adelaide, SA, Australia
- 2019 Honorary member, Sociedad Chilena de Ostelogia y Metabolismo Mineral
- 2018 Fellow, American Society of Bone and Mineral Research
- 2018 First Stephen Hugh Memorial Lecturer, National Osteoporosis Foundation of South Africa
- 2016 Alice MacLennan Memorial Lecturer, Australasian Menopause Society, Fremantle, WA, Australia
- 2015 Leon Speroff Award for Excellence in Education NAMS: North American Menopause Society
- 2015 President’s Award, International Osteoporosis Foundation
- 2015 Dr. John P. Bilezikian Global Leadership Award: International Society for Clinical Densitometry
- 2010 Honorary member, Society Asociacion Mexicana del Metabolismo Oseo y Mineral (AMMOM)
- 2004 Howard Lewis Teaching Award: Oregon Chapter of the American College of Physicians
- 2002 Eli Lilly and Company Award for Innovations in Osteoporosis: North American Menopause Society
- Member, Board of North American Menopause Society (2016-present)
- Member, Board of International Osteoporosis Foundation (2016-present)
- Editorial Board, Osteoporosis and Sarcopenia (2016-present)
- Editorial Board, New England Journal of Medicine: Journal Watch, Womens Health 2015-2018
- Editorial Board, Actualizaciones en Osteología (2014-present)
- Associate Clinical Editor, BoneKey (2012-2016)
- Editorial Board, Osteoporosis International (2003-present)
- Editorial Board, Menopause Management (2001-present)
- Editorial Board, Menopause (2003-present)
- Editorial Board, Journal of Clinical Densitometry (1997-present); Associate Editor (2002-2010)
- Editorial Board, Current Osteoporosis Reports (2003-present)
- Editorial Board, Bone (2001-present); Associate Editor (2007-2008)
- Member, Program Committee, North American Menopause Society, 2020
- Member, Nominating Committee, North American Menopause Society (2019-present)
- Member, Task Force to Update the Postmenopausal Osteoporosis Clinical Practice Guidelines, AACE, (2018-present)
- Member, Advisory Panel for Hormone Therapy Position Statement of The North American Menopause Society (2016-2017)
- Member, Bone Resource Center, AACE, (2016-present)
- Member, Bone and Parathyroid Disease State network, AACE, (2016-present)
- Chairman, Pre-meeting Program, North American Menopause Society (2016)
- Member, Nominating Committee, American Society of Bone and Mineral Research (2017)
- Co-chairman, Program Committee, American Society for Bone and Mineral Research (2014-2015)
- Member, Development Work Group, American Society for Bone and Mineral Research (ASBMR) (2104- 2015)
- Member, Osteoporosis and Bone Scientific Committee, American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (AACE) (2012-2017)
- Member, The Endocrine Society Measures Subcommittee (2007-2010)
- Member, FRAX™ Fracture Risk Task Force (2005-2008)
- Member, National Osteoporosis Foundation Scientific Advisory Council (2003-2012)
- Member, Board of International Society of Clinical Densitometry (2003-2005)
- Member, Endocrine and Metabolism Advisory Committee, Food and Drug Administration (2000-2006)
- Member, Council of Scientific Advisors, International Osteoporosis Foundation, (1999-present)
- Member, Scientific-Educational Advisory Committee, National Osteoporosis Foundation (1995-2003)
- Member, Medical Advisory Board, The Paget Foundation (1991-2005)