Professor Mark J. Nieuwenhuijsen
Research Professor, Director of the Urban Planning, Environment and Health Initiative, and Director of the Air pollution and Urban Environment Programme, ISGlobal (Barcelona) Professorial Fellow, Mary MacKillop Institute for Health Research,
Australian Catholic University.
Behaviour, Environment and Cognition Research Program
Areas of expertise: Childhood & Environment, Air Pollution, Urban Planning, Environment and Health
Location: ACU Melbourne Campus
ORCID ID: 0000-0001-9461-7981
Mark J Nieuwenhuijsen PhD is a world leading expert in environmental exposure assessment, epidemiology, and health risk/impact assessment with a strong focus and interest on healthy urban living. Prof Nieuwenhuijsen has been a Professorial Fellow
since January 2018 working with the Behaviour, Environment, and Cognition (BEC) Program led by Prof. Ester Cerin at the Mary MacKillop Institute for Health Research (MMIHR). He leads a number of worldwide projects while being co-investigator on
many more utilizing his experience and expertise in the following areas: all-cause mortality; respiratory and cardiovascular disease; mental health and cognitive function; cancer and reproductive health; exposure measurement and modelling of indoor
and outdoor air pollution, green space, UV exposure, noise, temperature and physical activity using new technology such as GIS, smartphones, personal sensors and remote sensing. He has edited 3 books on Exposure Assessment and on
Environmental Epidemiology, and one on Integrating human health into Urban and Transport planning, and has co-authored more than 400 papers published in peer reviewed journals and 30 book chapters.
- MacIntyre TE, Gidlow C, Baronian M, Nieuwenhuijsen M, Collier M, Gridzka S, Warrington G. Nature-based solutions and interventions in
cities In: Physical Activity in Natural Settings: Green and Blue Exercise edited by Aoife A. Donnelly, Tadhg E. MacIntyre. Routledge 2019.
- Khreis H and Nieuwenhuijsen M. The health impacts of urban transport: linkages, tools and needs. In: Karen Lucas, Karel Martens, Floridea Di Ciommo and Ariane Dupont-Kieffer. Measuring Transport Equity.Elseviers
- Nieuwenhuijsen M and Khreis H. Transport and Health. In: Galeo S, Ettman C, Vlahov D (eds) Urban Health. Oxford University Press 2019
- Nieuwenhuijsen M and Khreis H. Integrating human health into the urban development and transport planning agenda: a summary and final conclusions. In: NIEUWENHUIJSEN MJ and Khreis H.(eds) (2018) Integrating health into urban and transport
planning. Springer. ISBN 978-3-319-74982-2
- Nieuwenhuijsen MJ, Khreis H, Verlinghieri E, Mueller N and Rojas-Rueda D. The role of health impact assessment for shaping policies and making cities healthier. In: NIEUWENHUIJSEN MJ and Khreis H.(eds)
(2018) Integrating health into urban and transport planning. Springer. ISBN 978-3-319-74982-2
- Khreis H, Sudmant A, Gouldson A and Nieuwenhuijsen MJ. Transport policy measures for climate change asdrivers for health in cities. In: NIEUWENHUIJSEN MJ and Khreis H.(eds) (2018) Integrating health into urban and transport planning. Springer.
- Dadvand P and Nieuwenhuijsen M. Green space and health. In: NIEUWENHUIJSEN MJ and Khreis H.(eds) (2018) Integrating health into urban and transport planning. Springer.
- Nieuwenhuijsen MJ, Bastiaanssen J, Sersli S, Waygood EOD and Khreis H.Implementing car free cities: rationale, requirements, barriers and facilitators. In: NIEUWENHUIJSEN MJ and Khreis H.(eds) (2018) Integrating health into urban and
transport planning. Springer. ISBN 978-3-319-74982-2
- Nieuwenhuijsen MJ and Khreis H. Urban and transport planning and health. In: NIEUWENHUIJSEN MJ and Khreis H.(eds) (2018) Integrating health into urban and transport planning. Springer. ISBN
- Nieuwenhuijsen M. Environmental studies. In: Lawson AB, Banerjee S, Haining RP, Dolores Ugarte M.(2016) Handbook of Spatial Epidemiology. Chapman and Hall/CRC
He leads (1) the international TAPAS study (http://www.tapas-program.org/), examining the health impacts of activetransport in six European cities;
(2) the European Commission (EC)-funded PHENOTYPE (www.phenotype.eu) study, examining the
green space and health; and
(3) the ISGlobal funded SUMA HIA project on health impact assessment in low and medium income countries.
He is a co-investigator in (1) ICEPURE (www.icepure.eu), that examines exposure to and health effects of solar UV
(2) ESCAPE (www.escapeproject.eu) (and related (VE3SPA), that examines the long term health effects of air
(3) NIH funded CAVA which aims to validate smartphone based data collection methods;
(4) EC-funded CITISENSE (http://citi-sense.eu/) that aims to empower citizens using smartphone technology;
(5) EC-funded HELIX
(http://www.projecthelix.eu/), that examines the early life exposome and childhood diseases;
(6) EC-funded EXPOsOMICs (http://www.exposomicsproject.eu/) that examines the air pollution and water exposome
(7) the EC funded
PASTA study (http://www.pastaproject.eu), which promotes active transportation through
(8) and the EC-funded BlueHealth project evaluating the relationship between blue space and Health.
Accolades and awards
- 2020 Elseviers Atlas Award for paper Changing the urban design of cities for health: The superblock model. Environ Int. 2020; 134:105132
- 2018, he was awarded the ISEE John Goldsmith Award for Outstanding Contributions to Environmental Epidemiology.
- Member of the Editorial Review Board (Associate editor) Occupational and Environmental Medicine (1997-2018 )
- Associate editor of the Journal of Exposure Analysis and Environmental Epidemiology (2005-2008)
- Member of editorial board International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health (2009-)
- Associate editor of the Journal of Water and Health (2009- 2015 )
- Associate editor Environmental Health Perspectives (2010- 2018 )
- Member of the editorial board of Cities and Health (2017- )
- Member of the editorial board of Tranport and Health (2017- )
- Editor in Chief Environment International (2018- )
- Member of the International Society of Environmental Epidemiology (1998- )
- Member of the International Advisory Board of the Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment and Health (1999- )
- EC Expert evaluator Frame work V, Key action Environment and Health (1999- )
- Member of the International Advisory Board of the Annals of Occupational Hygiene (2000- )
- Member of the International Society of Exposure Analysis (2000- )
- Member of the British Occupational Hygiene Society (1989-2005)
- Member of College of Expert of the Medical Research Council Physiological Systems and Clinical Sciences Board (2005-)
- Science Advisory Committee of the Environment and Human Health Programme (2006- )
- Board (councillor) of the International Society of Environmental Epidemiology (2006-2008)
- Member of the WHO / EC project: Evidence on health aspects of air pollution to review EU policies - REVIHAAP (2012)
- Contributing Member of the WHO / EC project: Evidence on health aspects of noise to review EU policies (2014/2015)
- Contributing Member of the WHO working group: Health and Economic Assessment tool (HEAT) (2014/2015)
- Member of the WHO working group: tools for green space assessment (2015)
- Member EPA working on cumulative risk assessment of green space (2015)
- Member of the WHO working group on green space interventions (2017)