International students on a student visa must complete their course within the duration specified in their Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) (Standard 8 of the National Code 2018). The University may only extend a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) where documented compassionate or compelling circumstances exist, an intervention strategy is being implemented or a student has been granted an approved deferment or suspension of study.

If your student visa expires before you complete your course, you must submit a new student visa application to the Department of Home Affairs before your current visa expires.

What do I need to extend my student visa?

  • Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)
  • Evidence of Overseas Student Health Cover for the new visa duration
  • Check the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) website and complete the correct application form as well as application checklist

How do I obtain a new CoE for a student visa extension?

Higher Degree Research students (student visa subclass 500)

You need to talk to your research supervisor(s) about extending your candidature before applying for a student visa extension. Please contact Candidature Services regarding the procedure of candidature extension

Thesis examination

If you have submitted your thesis, you do not need a CoE while you are waiting for the results of your thesis examination. You will need to provide DHA with a letter from Candidature Services confirming that you have submitted your thesis and an approximate time frame for examination.

Candidature Services can be contacted via email

Australia Awards Scholarship students (student visa subclass 500)

You should contact your Student Contact Officer as you must have approval from Australia Awards to extend your visa. You do not need a CoE to extend your student visa.

Have a

Ask International

Online enquiry

For priority response,
make an online enquiry.

Make an online enquiry

Connect with us

Chat to our team via social media.