Associate Professor Robyn Horner
Religion and Theology
Areas of expertise: fundamental theology; Continental philosophy; hermeneutic phenomenology; poststructuralism; enhancing Catholic School identity
ORCID ID: 0000-0001-9189-1600
Phone: +61 3 9953 3130
Location: ACU Melbourne Campus
Robyn Horner is a teaching and research academic with extensive experience in academic leadership. Her research focuses on the intersections of continental philosophy with theology, especially through the use of hermeneutic phenomenology, together with a variety of post-structuralist tools of critique. She is currently completing a monograph on revelation, and an edited book on the relationship between atheism and experience.
Robyn Horner teaches and supervises in the area of enhancing Catholic identity, post-structuralism and French phenomenology, and theological recontextualisation.
- Horner, Robyn. “A Phenomenology of Revelation: Contemporary Encounters with Saint Ignatius Loyola.” The Challenge of God, ed. Colby Dickinson, Hugh Miller and Kathleen McNutt. London: Bloomsbury, 2020. 69-85.
- Horner, Robyn. "Towards a Hermeneutic Phenomenological Methodology for Theology." International Journal of Practical Theology 22.2 (2018): 153-173.
- Horner, Robyn. “Phenomenology as Lectio Divina: Jesus and the Woman Caught in Adultery.” Phenomenologies of Scripture, ed. Adam Wells. New York: Fordham University Press, 2017. 114-24.
- Horner, Robyn. “Murdering Truth: ‘Postsecular’ Perspectives on Theology and Violence,” International Journal of Philosophical Studies 24.5 (2016): 725-743.
- Horner, Robyn. “The Gifted Self: Theological Anthropology and the Challenges of Contemporary French Thought,” Questioning the Human: Towards a Theological Anthropology for the 21st Century, ed. Lieven Boeve, Yves de Maeseneer, and Ellen Van Stichel. New York: Fordham University Press, 2014.
- Horner, Robyn. “Theology After Derrida.” Modern Theology 29.3 (2013): 230-247.
- Horner, Robyn. “À Saint Jacques.” The Postmodern Saints of France: Refiguring ‘The Holy’ in Contemporary French Philosophy. Ed. Colby Dickinson. London: Bloomsbury T & T Clark, 2013. 95-108.
- Horner, Robyn. "Jean-Luc Marion and the Possibility of Theology." Culture, Theory and Critique 52.2 (2011): 335–350.
- Horner, Robyn. Jean-Luc Marion: A Theo-Logical Introduction. Aldershot, Hants: Ashgate, 2005.
- Horner, Robyn. Rethinking God as Gift: Marion, Derrida and the Limits of Phenomenology. New York: Fordham University Press, 2001.
Accolades and awards
- Australian Learning and Teaching Council Teaching Citation $10K 2009
Appointments and affiliations
School of Theology and Institute for Religion and Critical Inquiry, Australian Catholic University. 2016-
- Associate Dean (Learning and Teaching), Faculty of Theology and Philosophy, Australian Catholic University. 2010-2015.
- School of Theology, Australian Catholic University. 2002-2009-
- Associate Dean, Director of Postgraduate Studies, Melbourne College of Divinity. 2001-2002.
- Centre for Studies in Religion and Theology, Monash University. 1999-2000.
- Scientific Committee, International Network for Philosophy of Religion Journal
- Editorial Board, Journal of Continental Philosophy and Religion
- Editorial Board, Australasian Catholic Record
International journal review panel
- American Catholic Philosophical Quarterly, Brill, Critical Research on Religion, Derrida Today, Fordham University Press, Horizons: The Journal of the College Theology Society, Irish Theological Quarterly, Journal of the American Academy of Religion, Lexington Books, Modern Theology, Pacifica: Australasian Theological Studies, Religions, Routledge, Rowman and Littlefield, Studia Phaenomenologica, SUNY Press
Grant agency review panels
- Australian Research Council
- Fonds Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek-Vlaanderen (Flanders Research Foundation)
- Katholieke Universiteit Leuven Research Council
- Le Studium Research Fellowships
- Czech Science Foundation