Professor Sandy Middleton
Director, Nursing Research Institute
Areas of expertise: nursing research, stroke, implementation science research
ORCID ID: 0000-0002-7201-4394
Phone: +61 2 8382 3790
Location: ACU North Sydney Campus
Sandy Middleton is a Professor of Nursing and Director of the Nursing Research Institute. Professor Middleton has a particular interest in stroke and implementation research and has been successful in obtaining grants totalling over $39 million. She was the lead investigator on the landmark NHMRC-funded QASC cluster trial demonstrating decreased death and dependency following implementation of nurse-initiated protocols to manage fever, hyperglycaemia and swallowing post-stroke, winning multiple national and international awards. These protocols are currently being translated into hospitals in 14 European countries. She has published in high impact journals including The Lancet and The New England Journal of Medicine. Professor Middleton is a Ministerial appointment to the NHMRC Health Translation Advisory Committee (HTAC), and sits on the board of directors for the NSW Agency for Clinical Innovation and the Clinical Excellence Commission.
- Ouyang M, Bowden E, Arima H, Lavados PM, Billot L, Hackett ML, Olavarria VV, Muñoz-Venturelli P, Song L, Rogers K, Middleton S, Pontes-Neto OM, Lee TH, Watkins C, Robinson T, Anderson C on behalf of the HeadPoST investigators. Dysphagia screening and risks of pneumonia and adverse outcomes after acute stroke: an international multicentre study. International Journal of Stroke. Published online 21 June 2019. In press. doi: 10.1177/1747493019858778.
- Middleton S, Dale S, Cheung W, Cadilhac D, Grimshaw J, Levi C, McInnes E, Considine J, McElduff P, Gerraty R, Craig L, Schadewaldt V, Fitzgerald M, Quinn C, Cadigan G, Denisenko S, Longworth M, Ward J, D’Este C. Nurse-initiated acute stroke care in Emergency Departments: Results from the T3 implementation cluster randomised controlled trial. Stroke 2019; 50: 1346-1355. doi: 10.1161/STROKEAHA.118.020701
- Kilkenny M, Kim J, Andrew N, Sundararajan V, Thrift AG, Katzenellenbogen JM, Flack F, Gattellari M, Boyd JH, Anderson P, Lannin N, Sipthorp M, Chen Y, Johnston T, Anderson CS,
- Middleton S, Donnan GA, Cadilhac DA. Maximising data value and avoiding data waste: a validation study in stroke research. Medical Journal of Australia 2019; 210 (1): 27-31 doi: 10.5694/mja2.12029
See all Professor Middleton's publications
View NRI projects
Accolades and awards
- August 2019 – Finalist, Excellence in Research and Research Partnerships category, Vice-Chancellor's Staff Excellence Awards.
- April 2019 - Finalist, Federal Health Minister’s inaugural Award for Nursing Trailblazers.
- November 2018 - Winner, Health Collaboration Awards: Service Delivery Category for The Angels Initiative (QASC Europe). European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations (EFPIA), 8th November 2018.
- November 2018 - Honoree, St Vincent’s Clinic Medal for Outstanding Contribution to St Vincent’s Clinic. Sydney, Australia, 21st November 2018.
- October 2017- Fellow, American Academy of Nursing. Academy’s 2017 Transforming Health, Driving Policy Conference. Washington DC, 5th – 7th October 2017.
- July 2017 - Honoree, 2017 International Nurse Researcher Hall of Fame. Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International. 28th International Nursing Research Congress. Dublin, Ireland, 27th-31st July 2017.
- Nov 2014 - Winner, 2014 NSW Premier's Public-Sector Award for Improving Performance and Accountability. Quality in Acute Stroke Care Implementation Project.
- Oct 2014 - Finalist, NSW Health Awards 2014, Translational Research. Quality in Acute Stroke Care Implementation Project.
- Sept 2014 - Winner, NSW Health Excellence in Nursing and Midwifery Awards 2014. Excellence in Innovation Research.
Appointments and affiliations
- Member, Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care, Comprehensive Care Nursing and Midwifery Advisory Group, 2019 to present.
- Member, Quality Stroke Service Awards Subcommittee, 2019 to present.
- Member, National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Health Translation Advisory Committee (HTAC), 2018 to 2021.
- Co-Chair, Implementation Science and Knowledge Translation Platform for Sydney Partnership for Health, Education, Research and Enterprise (SPHERE), NHMRC accredited Advanced Health Research Translation Centre, 2018 to present.
- Chair, NSW Agency for Clinical Innovation Stroke Service NSW Data and Benchmarking Committee, July 2018 to present.
- Member, NSW Health Stroke Ambulance Pilot Working Group, 2018 to present.
- Chair, NSW Health Stroke Ambulance Research Sub-committee, 2018 to present.
- Member, European Stroke Organisation Conference (ESOC), Allied Health (and Nursing) Sub-committee, 2018 to present.
- Member, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons Clinical Academic Pathways Working Group (representing Australian College of Nursing), 2018 to present.
- Member, St Vincents Health Australia Clinical Assurance and Reliability Program (SCARP) Steering Committee, 2018 to present.
- Member, Stroke Foundation, Living Guidelines Stroke Development Working Group, 2018 to present.
- Co-Chair, Stroke Foundation, Living Guidelines Stroke Development Nursing Sub-Committee Working Group, 2018 to present.
- Member, World Stroke Organisation Education Committee, 2017 to present.
- Member, Executive Committee for the TEXAIS trial, 2017 to present.
- Member, St Vincent’s Health Sydney Local Health District, Nursing Advisory Council, October 2015 to present.
- Member, Agency for Clinical Innovation Board of Directors, March 2014 to present.
- Member, Clinical Excellence Commission Board of Directors, March 2014 to present.
- Member, Australian Stroke Coalition Executive Committee, 2013 to present.
- Member, Agency for Clinical Innovation Research Committee, November 2011 to present.
- Member, Clinical Excellence Commission Research Committee, November 2011 to present.
- Member, St Vincent’s Health Network Sydney Research Advisory Council, September 2011 to present.
- Chair, Australian Clinical Stroke Registry Steering Committee, October 2008 to present.
- International Editorial Board. Journal of Advanced Nursing, October 2012 to present.