Professor Joseph Ciarrochi
Institute for Positive Psychology and Education
Areas of expertise:
nonattachment; mindfulness; emotion regulation; Acceptance and Commitment Therapy; positive psychology
HDR Supervisor accreditation status: Full
ORCID ID: 0000-0003-0471-8100
+61 2 9701 4662
ACU North Sydney Campus
I help individuals and organisations apply the latest findings from behavioural science to achieve health, well-being and peak performance.
Flexible strength (also termed psychological flexibility) is the ability to persist in effective behaviour, and change behaviour when it is not effective, in order to promote personal growth and build valued action and peak performance. The psychological skills that support flexible strength have been given many labels, including mindfulness, nonattachment, emotional awareness, value clarity, self-compassion, growth mindset, creativity, willpower, resilience, persistence, and grit.
Flexible strength applies not just to the individual but also to groups. A strong group is one that cooperates well, maximizes each other’s talents, and manages selfishness and difficult people effectively.
- Ciarrochi, J. (in press). The coming revolution in intervention science: From standardized protocols to personalized processes. World Psychiatry
- Sahdra, B. K., Ciarrochi, J., Basarkod, G., Dicke, T., Guo, J., Parker, P. D., & Marsh, H. W. (in press, accepted January 7, 2021). High school students’ tenacity and flexibility in goal pursuit linked to life satisfaction and achievement on competencies tests. Journal of Educational Psychology.
- Bradshaw, E., Sahdra, B., Ciarrochi, J., Parker, P. Martos, T., Ryan, R. (2021). A configural approach to aspirations: The social breadth of aspiration profiles predicts well being over and above the intrinsic and extrinsic aspirations that comprise the profiles. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 120,226-256
- Donald, J.N., Ciarrochi, J., & Sahdra, B.K. (2020, in press). The Consequences of Compulsion: A Four-Year Longitudinal Study of Compulsive Internet Use and Emotion Regulation Difficulties. Accepted 9 March, 2020.
- Hayes, S. C., Hofmann, S. G. & Ciarrochi, J. (2020). A process-based approach to psychological diagnosis and treatment: The conceptual and treatment utility of an extended evolutionary model. Clinical Psychology Review, 82. Doi: 10.1016/j.cpr.2020.101908
- Marshall, J., Ciarrochi, J., Parker, P, Sahdra, B. Is self-compassion selfish (2020)? The development of self-compassion, empathy, and prosocial behavior in adolescence. Journal or Research in Adolescence., 30, 472-484 (IF = 1.91)
- Williams, K. E., and Ciarrochi, J. (2020). Perceived parenting styles and values development: a longitudinal study of adolescents and emerging adults. Journal of Research on Adolescence,30, 541-558
- Donald, J., Ryan, R., Devine, E., Sahdra, B., Ciarrochi, J. (2020). Mindfulness and Its Association with Varied Types of Motivation: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis using Self-Determination Theory. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin,46,1121-1138
- Ciarrochi J., Sahdra B.,Yap, K., & Dicke, T. (2020) The role of nonattachment in the development of adolescent mental health: A three-year longitudinal study. Mindfulness,11, 2131-2139
- Ciarrochi,J. & Hayes, L. (2020). Your life, your way. Skills to help teens gain perspective, manage emotions, and build resilience using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy. New harbinger Publications, Inc: Oakland, CA.
- Hayes, L., & Ciarrochi, J. (2015). The thriving adolescent: Using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy and Positive Psychology to Help Young People manage emotions, achieve goals, and build positive relationships. New harbinger Publications, Inc: Oakland, CA. Translated into Italian, Chinese, Turkish, Dutcc
- Ciarrochi, J., Bailey, A, and Harris, R. (2014) The Weight Escape. Penguin Publishers, Australia. Published in the U.S. by Shambhala. Published in the U.K. by Robinson. Translated into Dutch, French, and Polish
- Kashdan, T.B. & Ciarrochi, J (2013). Mindfulness, acceptance, and positive psychology: The Seven Foundations of Well-Being . Context press: Oakland, CA. Translated into Spanish and Japanese
- Ciarrochi, J., Hayes, L, Bailey, A. (2012). Get out of your mind and into your life teens: New harbinger Publications, Inc: Oakland, CA. Translated into Dutch. French, Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, Turkish, Polish
- Blackledge, J. T., Ciarrochi, J., & Deane, F. (Eds.). (2009). Acceptance and Commitment Therapy: Contemporary Theory, Research and Practice. Queensland: Australian Academic Press.
- Ciarrochi, J. & Bailey, A. (2008). A CBT-Practitioner's Guide to ACT: How to Bridge the Gap Between Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy. New Harbinger Publications, Inc.: Oakland, CA. Translated to Japanese, Korean, and German
- Ciarrochi, J. & Mayer, J. (Eds.). (2007). Applying emotional intelligence: A Practitioners Guide. New York: Psychology Press/Taylor & Francis.
- Ciarrochi, J., Forgas, J., & Mayer, J. (Eds.) (2006). Emotional intelligence in everyday life: A Scientific Inquiry.2nd edition. New York: Psychology Press/Taylor & Francis.
- Ciarrochi, J., Forgas, J., & Mayer, J. (Eds.) (2001). Emotional intelligence in everyday life: A Scientific Inquiry. Philadelphia, PA, US: Psychology Press/Taylor & Francis.