Dr Baljinder K. Sahdra
Institute for Positive Psychology and Education
Areas of expertise: educational psychology; psychological assessment; personality; developmental psychology; mindfulness related constructs and interventions
HDR Supervisor accreditation status: Full
ORCID ID: 0000-0001-5064-7783
Phone: +61 2 9701 4669
Location: ACU North Sydney Campus
Dr. Baljinder K. Sahdra’s publications reflect her diverse substantive interests in psychological assessment, educational psychology, personality, developmental psychology, and mindfulness related constructs and interventions. They also showcase diverse computational methods, including structural equation modelling, multilevel modelling, network analysis, mixture modelling, longitudinal analysis, text mining, and machine learning advances in psychometrics. She has been awarded with several prestigious awards and competitive grants ($7+ million). Her research is published in top-tier journals, is highly cited, and has been featured in The Sydney Morning Herald, The Sun, Radio Canada International, Boston Globe, New York Daily Post, Huffington Post, New Scientist, The Guardian, ABC Radio, and other major media outlets.
- Sahdra, B. K., Ciarrochi, J., Basarkod, G., Dicke, T., Guo, J., Parker, P. D., & Marsh, H. W. (in press, accepted January 7, 2021). High school students’ tenacity and flexibility in goal pursuit linked to life satisfaction and achievement on competencies tests. Journal of Educational Psychology.
- Parker, P. D., Sanders, T., Anders, J. Sahdra, B. K., Shure, N., Jerrim, J., & Cull, N. (2021). Does school average achievement explain the effect of socioeconomic status on math and reading interest? A test of the Information Distortion Model. Learning and Instruction, 73, DOI: 10.1016/j.learninstruc.2020.101432
- Bradshaw, E. L., Sahdra, B. K., Ciarrochi, J., Parker, P. D., Martos, T., & Ryan, R. M. (2021). A configural approach to aspirations: The social breadth of aspiration profiles predicts well-being over and above the intrinsic and extrinsic aspirations that comprise the profiles. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 120(1), 226–256. DOI: 10.1037/pspp0000374.
- Ciarrochi, J., Sahdra, B. K., Yap, K., Dicke, T. (2020). The role of nonattachment in the development of adolescent mental health: A three-year longitudinal study. Mindfulness 11, 2131-2139. DOI: 10.1007/s12671-020-01421-7
- Marsh, H. W., Huppert, F., Donald, J. N., Horwood, M., & Sahdra, B. K. (2020). The well-being profile (WB-Pro): Creating a theoretically based multidimensional measure of well-being to advance theory, research, policy, and practice. Psychological Assessment, 32(3), 294‐ DOI: 10.1037/pas0000787
- Sahdra, B. K., Ciarrochi, J., Parker, P. D., Craven, R., Brockman, R., Devine, E. K., Conigrave, J., & Chang, D. F. (2020). Discrimination as a frame-of-reference effect in overlapping friendship communities of ethnically diverse youth. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology, 26(1), 71–81. DOI: 10.1037/cdp0000247
- Donald, J. N., Bradshaw, E., Ryan, R., Basarkod, G., Ciarrochi, J., Duineveld, J., Guo, J., & Sahdra, B. K. (2019). Mindfulness and its associations with varied types of motivation: A systematic review and meta-analysis using self-determination theory. Personality and Social Psychological Bulletin, 46(7), 1121-1138. DOI: 10.1177/0146167219896136
- Donald, J. N., Sahdra, B. K., Van Zanden, B., Johannes Duineveld, J., Atkins, P. W. B., Marshall, S., & Ciarrochi, J. (2019). Does Your Mindfulness Benefit Others? A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of the Link between Mindfulness and Prosocial Behavior. British Journal of Psychology, 110, 101-125. DOI: 10.1111/bjop.12338.
- Sahdra, B. K., Ciarrochi, J., Parker, P., Basarkod, G., Bradshaw, E. L., & Baer, R. (2017). Are people mindful in different ways? Disentangling the quantity and quality of mindfulness in latent profiles, and their links to mental health and life effectiveness. European Journal of Personality, 31(4), 347-365. DOI: 10.1002/per.2108.
- Sahdra, B. K., Ciarrochi, J., & Parker, P. D. (2016). Nonattachment and mindfulness: Related but distinct constructs. Psychological Assessment, 28(7), 819-829. DOI: 10.1037/pas0000264.
- Sahdra, B. K., Ciarrochi, J., Parker, P., & Scrucca, L. (2016). Using genetic algorithms in a large nationally representative American sample to abbreviate the Multidimensional Experiential Avoidance Questionnaire. Frontiers in Psychology, 7: 189. DOI: 10.3389/fpsyg.2016.00189.
- Sahdra, B. K., Ciarrochi, J., & Parker, P. D. (2015). High-frequency heart rate variability linked to affiliation with a new group. PLoS ONE, 10(6), e0129583. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0129583.
- Sahdra, B. K., Ciarrochi, J., Parker, P., Marshall, S. & Heaven, P. (2015). Empathy and nonattachment independently predict peer nominations of prosocial behaviour of adolescents. Frontiers in Psychology, 6: 263. DOI: 10.3389/fpsyg.2015.00263.
- Sahdra, B. K., MacLean, K. A., Shaver, P. R., Ferrer, E., Jacobs, T. L., Rosenberg, E., Zanesco, A., Aichele, S., King, B., Saron, C. D., Bridwell, D., Lavy, S., & Wallace, B. A. (2011). Enhanced response inhibition enhanced by intensive meditation training predicts improved adaptive socio-emotional functioning. Emotion, 11, 299-312, DOI: 10.1037/a0022764.
- Sahdra, B. K., Shaver, P. R., & Brown, K. W. (2010). A scale to measure nonattachment: A Buddhist complement to Western research on attachment and adaptive functioning. Journal of Personality Assessment, 92, 1–12, DOI: 10.1080/00223890903425960.
- Sahdra, B. K., & Ross, M. (2007). Group identification and historical memory. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 33, 384–395, DOI: 10.1177/0146167206296103.