Associate Professor Jiesi Guo
Leader of Graduate Research Programs
Institute for Positive Psychology and Education
Areas of expertise:
educational psychology; achievement motivation; cross-cultural comparison; STEM education; quantitative methodology
HDR Supervisor accreditation status: Full
ORCID ID: 0000-0003-2102-803X
+61 2 97014737
ACU North Sydney Campus
Associate Professor Jiesi Guo’s current research focuses on (1) the academic motivational factors (e.g., task value, self-concept) and choice behaviours, (2) the impact of school climate and family socialization on students’ motivational beliefs, (3) cross-cultural differences in motivational processes; (3) how multiple ecological systems on the cultural, social, motivational, and behavioural development of youth shape their major and career choices particularly in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics); (4) methodological issues in Structural Equation Modelling (e.g., multi-group and multi-level modelling).
- Guo, J., Basarkod, G., Perales, F., Parker, P. D., Marsh, H. W., Donald, J., Dicke, T., Sahdra, B. K., Ciarrochi, J., Hu, X., Lonsdale, C., Sanders, T., & del Pozo Cruz, B. (2022). The Equality Paradox: Gender Equality Intensifies Male Advantages in Adolescent Subjective Well-Being. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 014616722211256. https://doi.org/10.1177/01461672221125619
- Guo, J., Hu, X., Elliot, A. J., Marsh, H. W., Murayama, K., Basarkod, G., Parker, P. D., & Dicke, T. (2022). Mastery-approach goals: A large-scale cross-cultural analysis of antecedents and consequences. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. https://doi.org/10.1037/pspp0000436
- Guo, J., Tang, X., Marsh, H. W., Parker, P., Basarkod, G., Sahdra, B., Ranta, M., & Salmela-Aro, K. (2022). The roles of social–emotional skills in students’ academic and life success: A multi-informant and multicohort perspective. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. https://doi.org/10.1037/pspp0000426
- Guo, J., Marsh, H. W., Parker, P. D., Dicke, T., & Zanden, B. Van. (2019). Countries, parental occupation, and girls’ interest in science. The Lancet, 393(10171), e6–e8. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(19)30210-7
- Guo, J., Tang, X., & Xu, K. M. Capturing the multiplicative effect of perseverance and passion: measurement issues of combining two grit facets (2019). Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1820125116
- Guo, J., Xiang, H., Marsh, H. W., & Pekrun, R. (2021). Relations of epistemic beliefs with motivation, achievement, and aspirations in science: Generalizability across 72 Countries, Journal of Educational Psychology. doi: 10.1037/edu0000660
- Guo, J., Marsh, H. W., Morin, A. J. S., Parker, P. D., & Kaur, G. (2015). Directionality of the associations of high school expectancy-value, aspirations and attainment over eight years: A Longitudinal study. American Educational Research Journal, 52(2), 371–402.
- Guo, J., Parker, P. D., Marsh, H. W., & Morin, A. J. S. (2015). Achievement, motivation, and educational choices: A longitudinal study of expectancy and value using a multiplicative perspective. Developmental Psychology, 51(8), 1163-1176.
- Guo, J., Marsh, H. W., Parker, P. D., Dicke, T., Lüdtke, O., & Diallo, T. M. O. (2019). A systematic evaluation and comparison between exploratory structural equation modeling and bayesian structural equation modeling. Structural Equation Modeling, 26(4), 529–556.
- Guo, J., Marsh, H. W., Parker, P. D., & Dicke, T. (2018). Cross-cultural generalizability of social and dimensional comparison effects on reading, math, and science self-concepts for primary school students using the combined PIRLS and TIMSS data. Learning and Instruction, 58, 210–219.
- Guo, J., Marsh, H. W., Parker, P. D., Morin, A. J. S., & Dicke, T (2017). Extending Expectancy-Value Theory Predictions of Achievement and Aspirations in Science: Dimensional Comparison Processes and Expectancy-by-Value Interactions. Learning and Instruction. 49, 81-91.
- Guo, J., Wang, M.-T., Ketonen, E. E., Eccles, J. S., & Salmela-Aro, K. (2018). Joint trajectories of task value in multiple subject domains: From both variable- and pattern-centered perspectives. Contemporary Educational Psychology, 55(October), 139–154.
- Guo, J., Marsh, H. W., Parker, P. D., Morin, A. J. S., & Yeung, A. S. (2015). Expectancy-value, gender and socioeconomic background as predictors of achievement and aspiration: A multi-cohort study. Learning and Individual Differences, 37, 1–8.
- Guo, J., Nagengast, B., Marsh, H. W., Kelava, A., Gaspard, H., Brandt, H., … Trautwein, U. (2016). Probing the unique contributions of self-concept, task values, and their interactions using multiple value facets and multiple academic outcomes. AERA Open, 2(1), 1–20.
- Marsh, H. W., Guo, J., Parker, P. D., Nagengast, B., Asparouhov, T., Muthén, B., & Dicke, T. (2018). What to do when scalar invariance fails: The extended alignment method for multi-group factor analysis comparison of latent means across many groups. Psychological Methods, 23(3), 524–545.
- Marsh, H. W., Guo, J., Dicke, T., Parker, P. D., Craven, R. G. (2020). Confirmatory factor analysis (CFA), exploratory structural equation modeling (ESEM) & Set-ESEM: Optimal balance between goodness of fit and parsimony. Multivariate Behavioral Research. 55(1), 102-119.
- Huguley, J. P., Wang, M.-T., Vasquez, A. C., & Guo, J. (2019). Parental ethnic–racial socialization practices and the construction of children of color’s ethnic–racial identity: A research synthesis and meta-analysis. Psychological Bulletin, 145(5), 437–458.
- Wang, M.-T., Henry, D. A., Smith, L. V., Huguley, J. P., & Guo, J. (2020). Parental ethnic-racial socialization practices and children of color’s psychosocial and behavioral adjustment: A systematic review and meta-analysis. American Psychologist. doi:10.1037/amp0000464
- Boosting high school students’ interest and course taking in STEM fields (DE230100300)
- School Principals Diminishing Wellbeing: What Makes a Positive Difference? (LP160101056)
- Transforming Lives and Communities: Impact of Quality Indigenous Education (LP150100679)
- Enabling Thriving Futures: Forging and Capitalising Upon an Innovative Positive Psychology Multi-Dimensional Well-Being Framework for Positive Education Schooling
- Australian Principal Health and Wellbeing - Combined (CSNSW, APPA, ASPA, AHISA, NSWSPC)
- How Subtle Activations and Prompts in Assessment Designs Influence Internal Self-Evaluation of Academic Abilities: A Series of Experimental Studies
- Driven to Distraction: A Pilot Study of The Mental Health Effects of Compulsive Smartphone Use Among Managers at Work
Accolades and awards
- 2023 Discovery Early Career Research Awards (DECRA)
- 2020 Association of Psychological Science (APS) Rising Star
- 2021 Society for Social Work and Research Excellence in Research Award
- 2017 American Educational Research Association (AERA) Outstanding Dissertation Award
- 2017 International Self-Conference Outstanding Dissertation Award
International journal review panel
- Developmental Psychology
- Journal of Educational Psychology
- Child Development
- Learning and Instruction
- Journal of Research on Adolescence
- American Educational Research Journal
- Contemporary Educational Psychology
- Learning and Individual Differences
- European Review of Applied Psychology
Grant agency review panel
- Australian Research Council (ARC) peer reviewer