Why study English for Academic Purposes?
- Gain entry into ACU degree and diploma programs* without having to take an external proficiency test like IELTS
- Learn the academic English skills you will need in your university program
- Study on campus and take part in university social activities
- Small class sizes mean you will get the extra attention you need
- High student success rate
*Not including Nursing, Physiotherapy or Speech Pathology.
About this course
English for Academic Purposes (EAP) focuses on developing your English language proficiency and approach to academic study in order to help you successfully complete university-level courses. At the same time, it allows you to become familiar with campus life and the resources and services available to you.
The assessment tasks in the EAP course are similar to those undertaken in university courses at ACU. Some of the skills you will develop include:
- reading comprehension
- critical thinking
- note-taking skills
- academic speaking
- writing skills (including referencing skills)
- further knowledge of English grammar and vocabulary.
EAP scores for direct entry
Use the table below to see what EAP results are required to gain direct entry into ACU Degree and Diploma programs:
||ACU Degree or Diploma
|75% or above
||Students will meet the English language requirement for an ACU course requiring IELTS 7.0*.
||Students will meet the English language requirement for an ACU course requiring IELTS 6.5.
||Students will meet the English language requirement for an ACU course requiring IELTS 6.0.
*Not including Nursing.
You can learn more about our EAP courses, including how to register your interest or apply, by viewing them in our course browser.
These courses range in duration from 5 to 30 weeks, and are available at our Brisbane, Melbourne and North Sydney campuses.
View 5-week course
View 10-week course
View 20-week course
View 30-week course