2 years full-time or equivalent part-time.
- ACU Online
EFTSL value of units : All 10 cp units in this course have an EFTSL value of 0.125. Units with a cp value of a multiple of 10 have corresponding EFTSL values.
An applicant must also comply with the Admission to Coursework Programs Policy.
To be eligible for admission to the course, an applicant must:
- have successfully completed a Bachelor degree or equivalent qualification, with:
- a major study in one teaching area; and
- a separate minor study in a second teaching area, that may be separate from or related to the major study area;
- be able to select from teaching areas that are available within the course and meet the requirements of the applicant's local state/territory registration authority, and
- the combination of teaching areas identified would usually prepare the applicant to teach across all year levels of secondary schooling.
- demonstrate suitability for teaching as evidenced by completion of an assessment available in the relevant State at the time of application
Applicants who completed Bachelor degrees outside Australia should review Admission to Coursework Programs Policy to determine if they are required to meet additional English Language Proficiency requirements for entry into the course.
Applicants seeking teacher registration in Australia should check with state registration bodies to confirm English Language Proficiency requirements for teacher registration.
International applicants need to meet the English Language Proficiency requirements as defined in the Admission to Coursework Programs Policy.
Disclaimer: The course entry requirements above are for 2023 Admission.
To qualify for the degree, a student must complete 200 cp from the Schedule of Unit Offerings, consisting of:
- 100 cp from Education Studies units (Part A)
- 40 cp from Curriculum Studies units (Part B), consisting of either:
- 20 cp in each of two teaching subjects OR
- 40 cp from one teaching subject
- 0 cp from ACER Literacy and Numeracy Test for Initial Teacher Education units (Part C)
- 20 cp from Elective units (Part D)
- 40 cp from Religious Education and Theology units (Part E).
All students enrolled must have the appropriate approvals before they may enter a classroom.
These are Blue Card (Queensland), Working with Vulnerable People Registration (Australian Capital Territory), or Working with Children Check (New South Wales, Western Australia and Victoria), Working with Children Clearance (Northern Territory), or Police Record Check (South Australia and Tasmania).
A student who has successfully completed the following requirements may exit from the course with that qualification:
- *Graduate Diploma in Educational Studies: 80 cp from the Schedule of Unit Offerings of the Master of Teaching (Secondary).
- *Graduate Certificate in Educational Studies: 40 cp from the Schedule of Unit Offerings of the Master of Teaching (Secondary).
- *Graduate Certificate in Religious Education: 40 cp from the Schedule of Unit Offerings of the Graduate Certificate in Religious Education.
- Master of Teaching (Secondary): 160 cp from the Schedule of Unit offerings of the Master of Teaching (Secondary).
*Note that none of these qualifications qualifies a student to teach in Australia.
A student who does not meet the LANTITE requirements may exit with the Graduate Diploma in Educational Studies or Graduate Certificate in Educational Studies if they meet the requirements of those awards.
Students are required to follow the pattern of unit enrolment set out in the relevant Course Enrolment Guide, unless otherwise approved by the Course Coordinator.