Canberra is Australia’s national capital. It provides excellent facilities for study, including access to the National Library (the largest library in Australia). Canberra's well-planned bike paths make cycling a great way to get around.
Canberra has a relatively dry climate with average winter temperatures of 6ºC and average summer temperatures of 25ºC.
Set within leafy surrounds, Canberra is a modern city that offers fun for the kids and a busy calendar of events and festivals. Some places we recommend you visit are:
- Australian Institute of Sport
- National Gallery of Australia
- Australian War Memorial
- National Archives of Australia
- National Museum of Australia
- National Library of Australia
- National Portrait Gallery
- Old Parliament House
- Parliament House
- National Film and Sound Archive
- Questacon National Science and Technology Centre
- Canberra Deep Space Communication Complex
- Australian National Botanic Gardens.
Find more information about entertainment in Canberra here or contact the Canberra and Region Visitors Centre on 1300 554 114.
There are many bars, restaurants and clubs, with some cheap places to eat and drink being Sub-Urban, O'Neills Irish Pub (30-36 Woolley Street, Dickson) and The Tradies.
You can also find a large number of clubs and bars offering live music in the Canberra suburbs of Civic, Kingston and Manuka.
Local shopping centres are located at Dickson, Hackett and Watson. The closest major centre is the Canberra Centre, which contains major department stores (David Jones, Target, Myer) and many specialty shops.
- Northside Fitness Centre – Dickson Place, Dickson
- Fitness First – corner of Scotts Crossing and Bunda Street, Civic
- Lyneham Sports Centre – Mouat Street, Lyneham
- ACU Sport – we have netball, touch, oz-tag and other teams you can join.
- Dickson Medical Clinic
151 Cowper St, Dickson, phone 02 6257 3853
- Calvary Public Hospital
Corner Belconnen Way and Hayden Drive, Bruce, phone 02 6201 6111
- Canberra Hospital
Yamba Drive, Garran, phone 02 6244 2222
- Calvary John James Hospital
173 Strickland Crescent, Deakin, phone 02 6281 8100.
- IGA – Watson and Hackett Shops
- Woolworths – Dickson Shops.
Page last updated: 2017-06-28
Short url: https://www.acu.edu.au/455536