We have extensive research expertise across acute care, cardiovascular disease, acute stroke, transition to practice for nurses, midwifery and paramedics, health care simulation, and mental health. We work with a large number of partners who provide opportunities for industry experience and research collaboration.
Higher degree research
Higher degree research candidates in the School of Nursing, Midwifery and Paramedicine have access to supervisors who are experts in their field, excellent facilities and partners for industry collaboration. As a national university operating across four Australian states, we are well placed to support evaluation of health care interventions.
We have opportunities for students who have already completed a relevant bachelor’s degree to conduct research as part of an honours degree.
Explore the Honours research projects available
Nursing Research Institute (NRI)
The Nursing Research Institute is a collaboration between ACU and St Vincent’s Health Australia in Sydney and Melbourne. The team at St Vincent’s work closely with the school to implement evidence-based care to improve patient outcomes and health systems.
Visit the institute
Nursing Research and Practice Development Centre (NRPDC)
The NRPDC houses a nurse-led research team who aim to inspire, support and undertake quality research within The Prince Charles Hospital in Brisbane, Australia, with a focus on pressure injuries.
Visit the centre
Other research groups
The School of Nursing, Midwifery and Paramedicine also has staff led research labs and groups that support students to pursue research projects and interests.
Midwifery Engaged Research, Innovation and Translation (MERIT) Group
The MERIT Group conducts research into midwifery practice, education, workforce issues and the challenges of childbearing and early parenting.
Visit the group
School of Nursing, Midwifery and Paramedicine Research active staff
- Professor Elisabeth Jacob, Head of Victorian School of Nursing, Midwifery and Paramedicine
- transition to practice, health care simulation, evidence based practice, health workforce
- Professor Sara Bayes, Chair of MERIT Group
- midwifery practice, midwifery workforce
- Associate Professor Lisa Kuhn, Research and Research Training Coordinator
- Associate Professor Louisa Lam, Higher Degrees Research Coordinator
- student resilience, emergency, cardiac
- Associate Professor Scott Devenish, Head of Disciplines Paramedicine
- paramedicine, transition to Practice
- Associate Professor Shahla Meedya, Course Coordinator Midwifery, Blacktown