Professor Tony Ciro
Professor Tony Ciro is a current member of the Victorian Bar and a member of CPA Australia. Professor Ciro is a graduate of both Oxford University and Monash University. Professor Ciro holds a PhD from Monash University, a BCL (Master of Law) from Oxford University, a Bachelor of Laws (Honours) from Monash University and a Bachelor of Economics (Accounting & Finance) (Honours) from Monash University.
Professor Ciro is the author/co-author of 16 books which have been published by leading international and Australian publishing houses including Oxford University Press, Thomson Reuters, Lexis Nexis Butterworths and Euromoney. His books cover broad fields in law, business and international financial markets regulation:
- Law and Business 1st, 2nd and 3rd Edition (co-author), OUP
- Cases, Materials and Commentary on Law and Business (co-author), OUP
- Understanding Tax Law: An Interactive Approach 3rd, 4th and 5th Edition (co-author), Lexis Nexis Butterworths
- Financial Derivatives and Legal Risk, Euromoney Books
- Australia and the Global Economy (co-author and co-editor), Connor Court
- Corporations Law in Principle 8th Edition (co-author)
- The Global Financial Crisis: Triggers, Responses and Aftermath, Ashgate
Professor Ciro has also published over 50 refereed journal articles, book chapters and conference proceedings in broad fields covering business law, financial markets regulation, intellectual property, company law, taxation law and the global economy. His work has been published in national and international journals including Company and Securities Law Journal, Australian Business Law Review, European Intellectual Property Review, Journal of Banking, Finance Law and Practice, Bond Law Review and the Journal of International Banking Law and Regulation.
Professor Ciro has extensive management experience as the Deputy Head of School of Business (Melbourne) from 2010 to 2013 and has been a serving committee member on Faculty Research Committees, Learning and Teaching Committees, International Committee, Intellectual Property Steering Committee, University Small Grants Committee, University Appeals Committee and Workload Committee. Professor Ciro has also led successful accreditation and re-accreditation of CPA Australia and ICAA accounting programs as well as being actively involved in the curriculum design for new LLB programs.
Professor Ciro’s career highlights include:
- Visiting Academic Oxford University (Hertford College) (2003)
- Best Paper Award for the Global Finance Conference in Las Vegas, Nevada (US) (2004)
- Research Excellence Award (Swinburne University of Technology) (2009)
Professor Ciro was elected to the University Senate on May 2014 and is a current serving Senator. Professor Ciro is a current member of the Global Oxford University Law Alumni.
View Professor Ciro's research profile on Google Scholar
View staff profile