Not interested in student accommodation? There are plenty of other options to choose from around the campus you’re studying at.
Get a taste of family life on a homestay. Homestays are an ideal short-term option for students who are travelling from overseas or interstate. Settle in to a new city with the help of a local family. Fees cover everything you need to be comfortable in your new home – including rent, furniture, utilities and even some meals.
Find out more at the Australian Homestay Network
If you prefer more independence, renting on your own or sharing with others is a great choice. It’s important to remember that furniture, utilities (water, electricity, gas) and food are usually not included in rental fees. Try to choose reputable real estate agents and ensure that you read all the documents provided to you carefully.
Tips for renting
- Inspect the place before you pay any money (and take photos of any damage).
- Read the contract before you sign it.
- Your agent/lessor lodges your rental bond with the RTA (Residential Tenancies Authority)
- You’ll need an Australian bank account to get your bond back
- Pay your rent on time and get receipts
- Keep the place clean, tidy and undamaged
- Keep to the terms of your contract
- Make sure you know your rights and responsibilities
Finding a rental
Some useful websites to find rental properties are;
Holdsworth HomeShare (Sydney only)
What is it?
With Holdsworth HomeShare you can enjoy affordable private accommodation in an older person's home, close to transport and amenities at various locations in the eastern suburbs of Sydney.
Holdsworth HomeShare offers:
- Affordable, longer term and comfortable private accommodation in return for some companionship and sharing household chores for a few hours a week
- Close to transport and amenities
- Quiet place studying
- Shared utility expenses
- Food can be separate or shared
- Fully furnished homes with fully equipped kitchens
- Laundry facilities
- Safety and security
- Connection to the community
- Intergenerational learning and connection.
For further information contact Holdsworth HomeShare
Phone: 02 9302 3600
Website: Holdsworth Homeshare
The University provides this homeshare service information for your convenience. It is not owned, managed or operated by the University. The university is not able to, and does not, assess the suitability of these homeshare options, nor does it accept any responsibility or liability in relation to any matter arising out of any contact or arrangements between a student and the homeshare provider. Any arrangements are strictly between the student and the homeshare provider. Each student has the responsibility in assessing the accommodation and its suitability.