2 years full-time or equivalent part-time.
- ACU Online
EFTSL value of units : All 10 cp units in this course have an EFTSL value of 0.125. Units with a cp value of a multiple of 10 have corresponding EFTSL values.
An applicant must also comply with the Admission to Coursework Programs Policy.
To be eligible for admission to the course, an applicant must:
- have successfully completed a Bachelor degree or equivalent qualification, with:
- a major study in one teaching area; and
- a separate minor study in a second teaching area, that may be separate from or related to the major study area;
- be able to select from teaching areas that are available within the course and meet the requirements of the applicant's local state/territory registration authority, and
- the combination of teaching areas identified would usually prepare the applicant to teach across all year levels of secondary schooling.
- demonstrate suitability for teaching as evidenced by completion of the relevant State assessment, which will be provided in the application process.
Applicants who completed Bachelor degrees outside Australia should review the Admission to Coursework Programs Policy to determine if they are required to meet additional English Language Proficiency requirements for entry into the course.
Applicants seeking teacher registration in Australia should check with state registration bodies to confirm English Language Proficiency requirements for teacher registration.
Disclaimer: The course entry requirements above are for 2023 Admission.
To qualify for the degree, a student must complete 160 cp from the Schedule of Unit Offerings, consisting of:
a. 100 cp from Education Studies and Effective Teaching Units (Part A)
b. 40 cp from Curriculum Studies Units (Part B) consisting of either:
- 20 cp in each of two teaching subjects OR
- 40 cp from one teaching subject
c. 0 cp from ACER Literacy and Numeracy Test for Initial Teacher Education Units (Part C)
d. 20 cp from Elective units (Part D)
Students are required to follow the pattern of unit enrolment set out in the relevant Course Enrolment Guide unless otherwise approved by the Course Coordinator. In all aspects of progress through the course, students will be advised by the Course Coordinator
All students enrolled must have the appropriate approvals before they may enter a classroom.
These are Blue Card (Queensland), Working with Vulnerable People Registration (Australian Capital Territory), or Working with Children Check (New South Wales, Western Australia, and Victoria), Working with Children Clearance (Northern Territory), or Police Record Check (South Australia and Tasmania).
A student who has successfully completed the following requirements may exit from the course with that qualification. Note that none of these qualifications will lead to teacher registration.
- Graduate Diploma in Educational Studies: 80 cp from the Schedule of Unit Offerings.
- Graduate Certificate in Educational Studies: 40 cp from the Schedule of Unit Offerings.
A student who does not meet the LANTITE requirements may exit with the Graduate Diploma in Educational Studies or Graduate Certificate in Educational Studies if they meet the requirements of those awards.
Students are required to follow the pattern of unit enrolment set out in the relevant Course Enrolment Guide, unless otherwise approved by the Course Coordinator. In all aspects of progression through this course, students will be advised by the Course Coordinator.