Theology and Philosophy
Rome Study Tour: Saturday 25 June to Saturday 9 July 2016
Photograph: Michael Theophilos, used with permission
Immerse yourself in Roman archaeology and the study of the Bible. In Rome.
Through this two-week intensive course, you will explore how artefacts and texts can be used in a critical dialogue to reconstruct aspects of the cultural and social milieu of the Bible and Early Christianity.
Topics will include:
- An overview of the history of the relationship of archaeology and Biblical Studies.
- An introduction to the main techniques and theory of archaeological practice.
- A survey of major relevant excavations relevant to the social and cultural milieu of the Bible and Early Christianity.
- Examination of case studies in which archaeology and literary texts act as comparative sources of historical information.
This course will involve traditional class time (lectures and tutorials) brought to life by multimedia resources, field trips and hands-on learning delivered through the unique experience of your Roman surroundings.
The study tour will take place from 25 June to 9 July 2016 and is available to ACU students as part of their degree:
- Students studying the Master of Theological Studies will need to enrol in THBS600 (representing 20cp).
- Students studying the Bachelor of Theology will need to enrol in both THBS300 and THBS301 (representing 20cp).
- Students enrolled in other ACU programs may be eligible to take the tour for course credit. Please consult your course rules or course coordinator.
Tour cost, including accommodation, incidentals (most meals, airport transfers, scheduled group excursions/site visits) and economy return airfares, is approximately $4,200 (note: units fees are also applicable upon enrollment). There are limited places available for those who wish to participate in the unit in audit capacity (estimate cost is $4,900). Please note, prices may fluctuate depending on the strength of the Australian dollar.
You may be eligible to receive the ACU Vice-Chancellor’s Travel Grant of up to $500 to assist with the cost of airfares (conditions apply). You may also be eligible for an OS-Help Loan of up to $6,470 to support the cost of travel and incidentals. Read more about available financial support.
Interested? Here's what you need to do...
Places are limited.