ACU knows that sometimes young people can change their minds or be affected by circumstances out of their control.
This program allows school principals to recommend students who they believe are capable of completing the specified tertiary degree, despite not receiving an ATAR or a limited ATAR, as a result of extenuating circumstances or changing packages mid-course. Our objective is to create options for these students who have the capacity to undertake university study to pursue their chosen degrees.
Who can apply?
- Students who want to undertake undergraduate study at ACU’s Canberra Campus
- Who are currently undertaking Year 12.
Note for principals
In choosing the student(s) for this program it is suggested that the principal consult with the student’s teachers, the Year 11 and 12 coordinators and the careers advisor, and interview the potential student(s). The student(s) nominated will need to agree to be part of the program.
Particular consideration should be given to the following aspects of the students’ school life:
- potential to pursue a university degree
- cooperation and support as a class member
- any possible educational disadvantage experienced by the student.
Principals will be required to sign the application form stating that based on their knowledge of the student’s circumstances and abilities, they believe the student is capable of tertiary study.
How to apply
- The downloads the application form and completes relevant sections.
- The principal signs the ACU Special Admissions Program application form. In signing this form, principals are acknowledging their belief in the student’s capability to complete tertiary study in the specified degree.
- Application form to be submitted to ACU via email CanberraAccessPrograms@acu.edu.au or posted to ACU Marketing and External Relations, PO Box 256, Dickson ACT 2602. Students must also submit an application for study through UAC, listing the chosen ACU course as their first preference.
- The student will be invited for an interview with ACU and should bring copies of their Year 11 and Year 12 results to date, and any other relevant supporting documentation (e.g. medical reports, evidence of community service, sporting or cultural achievements). Interviews will take place the week commencing 6 November 2017.
- Students will be notified of the outcome of their application by early December 2017. Formal offers will be made via UAC in the December 2017 main round of offers.
Support for students
ACU is committed to providing ongoing support for successful applicants and will take an active interest in ensuring these students achieve to the best of their ability during their time at ACU. In applying for this program, successful students are committing to:
- undertake a free, three-day intensive ACU Smart academic skills program, which will be held at ACU Canberra prior to the commencement of the university year
- regular contact during their first year with an Academic Skills Advisor
- if required, will have access to ongoing academic skills support, free counselling services, career guidance and pastoral support throughout their time at ACU.
Applications close Friday, 20 October 2017.
For enquiries, please contact Emma Young, Marketing Coordinator (Canberra)
Phone: 02 6209 1295
Mobile: 0437 731 622
* Commencing in 2015 the ACU Special Admissions Program replaced the Campus Dean’s Partnership and Bright Futures Programs.
Page last updated: 2017-09-01
Short url: https://www.acu.edu.au/1117978