This two-week program offers a wonderful opportunity to reflect on the Gospel of Mark in the land of Jesus and its people. You will be based in Jerusalem, at the Centre for Biblical Formation, Ecce Homo Convent of the Sisters of Notre Dame de Sion, in the heart of the Old City. Excursions to places associated with Jesus during his ministry in Jerusalem and Galilee, and visits to other important biblically-related sites will complement this unique opportunity for gospel study.
Jerusalem, September – October 2021 (Date to be confirmed)
THBS600 Bible Lands Study Tour
What you can expect
Complementing this singular opportunity for a thorough study of Mark’s gospel will be:
- Excursions to places associated with Jesus during his ministry in Jerusalem, including the church of the Holy Sepulchre —the site of his death and resurrection — Gethsemane, the Mount of Olives, the Western Wall, and Mount Sion.
- A three-day tour in Galilee.
- Visits to other important sites (for example, Bethlehem, Nazareth, Qumran, Sepphoris, and Tel Dan).
Rev Dr Michael Trainor has travelled extensively around the Middle East for over thirty years and has taught in Jerusalem several times. He leads regular tours into Israel and is a well-respected scripture scholar and author.
Study tour highlights
- Living and immersing yourself in the old city of Jerusalem.
- Visiting sites associated with Jesus, in Galilee and Jerusalem.
- Spending time around the Sea of Galilee and visiting towns that Jesus visited.
- Visiting and understanding the importance of sites like Qumran, Sepphoris, Tel Dan and Nazareth and their contribution to gospel study.
- A study of Mark’s gospel within the very setting envisaged by the evangelist.
Topics covered will include:
- a study of the gospel of Mark, its themes, narrative structure and Christology
- the culture and history of Israel and present-day Jerusalem
- the archaeology of ancient sites and how this contributes to our understanding of the gospel
- the geo-political, socio-historical and cultural roots of Judaism and Christianity faith communities in the Middle East and Israel.