Dr. Rachel Busbridge
Areas of expertise: Urban politics and conflict; Culture, identity and diversity; Nationalism; Settler colonialism
ORCID ID: 0000-0002-5348-9335
Phone: +613 9230 8594
Location: ACU Melbourne Campus
Rachel Busbridge is a Lecturer in Sociology in the National School of Arts, based in Melbourne. Before joining ACU, she held research positions at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, La Trobe University and Freie Universität Berlin as an Alexander von Humboldt Postdoctoral Research Fellow. A political sociologist, Rachel’s research interests cross nationalism, settler colonialism, political theory and urban studies. Her work has appeared in Political Geography, Political Studies, Theory, Culture and Society, British Journal of Middle Eastern Studies, Interventions: International Journal of Postcolonial Studies and Social Identities, amongst others. Rachel is a Commissioning Editor of Thesis Eleven: Critical Theory and Historical Sociology (Sage).
- Chou, M. & Busbridge, R. (in press). How Local Governments Govern Culture War Conflicts. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Busbridge, R. (2018). Multicultural Politics of Recognition and Postcolonial Citizenship: Rethinking the Nation. Oxon & New York: Routledge.
- Busbridge, R. & Chou, M. (2020) Culture Wars and City Politics, Revisited: Local Councils and the Australia Day Controversy. Urban Affairs Review. https://doi.org/10.1177/1078087420945034
- Busbridge,R., Moffitt, B. & Thorburn, J. (2020) Cultural Marxism: Far-right Conspiracy Theory in Australia's Culture Wars. Social Identities: Journal for the Study of Race, Nation and Culture. https://doi.org/10.1080/13504630.2020.1787822
- Busbridge, R. (2020) Messianic Time, Settler Colonial Technology and the Elision of Palestinian Presence in Jerusalem's Historic Basin. Political Geography. 79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polgeo.2020.102158
- Chou, M. & Busbridge, R. (2019) Culture Wars, Local Government, and the Australia Day Controversy: Insights from Urban Politics Research. Urban Policy & Research. 37(3): 367-377.
- Bashir, B. & Busbridge, R. (2019) The Politics of Decolonisation and Bi-Nationalism in Israel/Palestine. Political Studies. 67(2): 388-405.
- Busbridge, R. (2018) Israel-Palestine and the Settler Colonial Turn: From Interpretation to Decolonisation. Theory, Culture & Society. 35(1): 91-115.
- Busbridge, R. (2017) The Wall has Feet but So Do We: Palestinian Workers in Israel and the Separation Wall. British Journal of Middle Eastern Studies, 44(3): 373-390.
- Busbridge, R. & Chou, M. (2020) Culture Wars and City Politics, Revisited: Local Councils and the Australia Day Controversy, Urban Affairs Forum, 5 August.
- Busbridge, R. (2020) Does Reading Frantz Fanon Matter? Encountering Black Lives through Anti-Racist Literature, ABC Religion and Ethics, 2 July.
- Bartlett, W. & Busbridge, R. (2019) Preventing the Financial Abuse of Women in Australia: Can Intersectionality Help? ABC Religion and Ethics, 10 September.
- Chou, M. & Busbridge, R. (2019) The Culture War Taking Place in Your Own Backyard: Local Councils and the Politics of Australia Day, ABC Religion and Ethics, 24 January.
- Busbridge, R. & Chou, M. (2019) Forcing Australian Citizenship Ceremonies on Councils Wont Make the Issue Go Away, The Conversation, 16 January.
- Busbridge, R. (2019) The Far-Right May Think They Own Nationalism, But We Can Reclaim It as a Force for Good, The Conversation, 7 January.