Dr Kevin Nay
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Exercise and Nutrition Research Program
Areas of expertise: Skeletal muscle metabolism.
Location: ACU Melbourne Campus
Dr Kevin Nay is a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at Australian Catholic University (ACU) based at the Mary MacKillop Institute for Health Research in Melbourne, Australia.
Kevin completed his BSc in Sport and Physical Education Science in 2013 at University Jean Monnet in Saint-Etienne, France. He then earned his MSc in Integrative Biology with a specialisation in Muscular Physiology and Related Pathologies in 2016
at University Claude Bernard in Lyon, France. His thesis was a collaboration between INRAE (French National Institute for Agricultural and Environmental Research) and University of Rennes, France. He was awarded his PhD in October of 2019, titled
“Iron and gut microbiota: new targets to prevent functional and muscle decline due to hypoactivity”, before joining the Australian Catholic University in March 2020.
Kevin’s research interest is molecular crosstalk between skeletal muscle and other organs. Within this scope, his current research project is focused on the interactions between skeletal muscle and gut microbiota.
- Kenawi M, Rouger E, Island M-L, Leroyer P, Robin F, Rémy S, Tesson L, Anegon I, Nay K, Derbré F, Brissot P, Ropert M, Cavey T, Loréal O. Ceruloplasmin deficiency does not induce macrophagic iron overload:
lessons from a new rat model of hereditary aceruloplasminemia. FASEB J. (September 27, 2019). doi: 10.1096/fj.201901106R.
- Nay K, Jollet M, Goustard B, Baati N, Vernus B, Pontones M, Lefeuvre-Orfila L, Bendavid C, Rué O, Mariadassou M, Bonnieu A, Ollendorff V, Lepage P, Derbré F, Koechlin-Ramonatxo C. Gut bacteria are critical for
optimal muscle function:a potential link with glucose homeostasis. American Journal of Physiology-Endocrinology and Metabolism ( April 30, 2019). doi: 10.1152/ajpendo.00521.2018.
- Perrin T, Faure C, Nay K, Cattozzo G, Sorel A, Kulpa R, Kerhervé HA. Virtual Reality Gaming Elevates Heart Rate but Not Energy Expenditure Compared to Conventional Exercise in Adult Males. International Journal of
Environmental Research and Public Health 16: 4406, 2019.
- Appriou Z, Nay K, Pierre N, Saligaut D, Lefeuvre-Orfila L, Martin B, Cavey T, Ropert M, Loréal O, Rannou-Bekono F, Derbré F. Skeletal muscle ceramides do not contribute to physical inactivity-induced insulin
resistance. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab (March 19, 2019). doi: 10.1139/apnm-2018-0850.
- Arena G, Cissé MY, Pyrdziak S, Chatre L, Riscal R, Fuentes M, Arnold JJ, Kastner M, Gayte L, Bertrand-Gaday C, Nay K, Angebault-Prouteau C, Murray K, Chabi B, Koechlin-Ramonatxo C, Orsetti B, Vincent C, Casas F, Marine
J-C, Etienne-Manneville S, Bernex F, Lombès A, Cameron CE, Dubouchaud H, Ricchetti M, Linares LK, Le Cam L. Mitochondrial MDM2 Regulates Respiratory Complex I Activity Independently of p53. Mol Cell 69: 594-609.e8, 2018.
- Cavey T, Pierre N, Nay K, Allain C, Ropert M, Loréal O, Derbré F. Simulated microgravity decreases circulating iron in rats: role of inflammation-induced hepcidin upregulation. Exp Physiol 102: 291–298,