Dr Amanda Wheeler
Senior Research Fellow
Behaviour, Environment and Cognition Research Program
Areas of expertise: air quality, personal exposure, biomass smoke, interventions
ORCID ID: 0000-0001-9288-8163
Phone: +613 9230 8366
Location: ACU Melbourne Campus
Dr Amanda Wheeler is a Senior Research Fellow in the Behaviour, Environment and Cognition Research program based at the Mary MacKillop Institute for Health Research, Australian Catholic University. She is part of the team investigating the effects of the built environment, air pollution and noise on the cognitive health of older adults. Her other research interests include evaluating interventions to improve indoor air quality that is impacted by biomass smoke. Her published research interests include personal exposures to air pollution from residential and ambient sources, tracking activity patterns, and understanding the intra-urban variability of air pollutants using GIS tools and developing Land Use Regression (LUR) models. She has experience with a range of environmental pollutants including particulate matter, volatile organic compounds, phthalates and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. She is also an Honorary Fellow at the University of Tasmania and The University of Melbourne.
- Melody, S.M., Wheeler, A.J., Dalton, M., Williamson, G.J., Negishi, K., Willis, G., Shao, J., Zhao, B., Chappell, K., Wills, K., Reeves, M., Emmerson, K.M., Ford, J., Dennekamp, M., Foong, R.E., Abramson, M.J., Ikin, J., Walker, J., Venn, A., Dharmage, S., Hall, G., Zosky, G. and Johnston, F.H. (2021) Cohort Profile: The Hazelwood Health Study Latrobe Early Life Follow-Up (ELF) Study. International Journal of Epidemiology. Vol 49, Iss 6, Pages 1779-1780.
- Song, Y., Southam, K., Bennett, E, Johnston, F.H., Foa, L., Wheeler, A.J. and Zosky, G.R. (2020) Adverse effects of prenatal exposure to residential dust on post-natal brain development. Environmental Research (Accepted 12th November 2020) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envres.2020.110489
- Marfori, M.T., Campbell, S.L., Garvey, K., McKeown, S., Veitch, M., Wheeler, A.J., Borchers-Arriagada, N. and Johnston, F.H. (2020) Public Health Messaging During Extreme Smoke Events: Are We Hitting the Mark? Frontiers in Public Health. 8:465. doi: 10.3389/fpubh.2020.00465
- Campbell, S.L., Jones, P.J., Williamson, G.J., Wheeler, A.J., Lucani, C., Bowman, D.M.J.S. and Johnston, F.H. (2020) Using Digital Technology to Protect Health in Prolonged Poor Air Quality Episodes: A Case Study of the AirRater App during the Australian 2019-20 Fires. Fire. 3, 40; doi:10.3390/fire3030040
- Willis, G.A., Chappell, K., Williams, S., Melody, S.M., Wheeler, A.J., Dalton, M., Dharmage, S.C., Zosky, G.R. and Johnston, F.H. (2020) Parent-reported indicators of respiratory and atopic conditions in young children two to four years after the Hazelwood Coal Mine Fire. Medical Journal of Australia DOI:10.5694/mja2.50719
- Cerin, E., Barnett, A., Chaix, B., Nieuwenhuijsen, M.J., Caeyenberghs, K., Jalaludin, B., Sugiyama, T., Sallis, J.S., Lautenschlager, N.T., Ni, M.Y., Poudel, G., Donaire-Gonzalez, D., Tham, R., Wheeler, A.J., Knibbs, L., Tian, L., Chan, Y., Dunstan, D.W., Carver, A. and Anstey, K.A. International Mind, Activities and Urban Places (iMAP) study: methods of a cohort study on environmental and lifestyle influences on brain and cognitive health. BMJ Open 2020;10:e036607. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2019-036607
- Jones, P.J., Koolhof, I.S., Wheeler, A.J., Williamson G.J., Lucani, C., Campbell, S., Bowman, D.M.J.S. and Johnston F.H. (2020) Can smartphone data identify the local environmental drivers of respiratory disease? Environmental Research. Vol 182 (online article 109118) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envres.2020.109118
- Navaranjan, G., Takaro, T.K., Wheeler, A.J., Diamond, M.L., Shu, H., Azad, M.B., Becker, A.B., Dai, R., Harris, S.A., Lefebvre, D.L., Lu, Z., Mandhane, P.J., McLean, K., Moraes, T.J., Scott, J.A., Turvey, S.E., Sears, M.R., Subbarao, P. and Brook, J.R. (2020) Early life exposure to phthalates in the Canadian Healthy Infant Longitudinal Development (CHILD) study: a multi-city birth cohort. Journal of Exposure Science and Environmental Epidemiology. Volume 30, Issue 1, Pages 70-85.
- Wheeler, A.J., Jones P.J., Reisen F., Melody S.M., Williamson G., Strandberg B., Hinwood A., Almerud P., Blizzard L., Chappell K., Fisher G., Torre P., Zosky G.R., Cope M. and Johnston F.H. (2020) Roof cavity dust as an exposure proxy for extreme air pollution events. Chemosphere. Volume 244, article number 125537.
Accolades and awards
- 2020 NHMRC Centre for Research Excellence – Centre for Air Pollution, Energy and Health Research Annual Symposium. Best Presentation in Translational Research.
- 2019 NHMRC Centre for Research Excellence – Centre for Air Pollution, Energy and Health Research Annual Symposium. Best Presentation.
2018 Menzies Institute for Medical Research, University of Tasmania. Research Impact Prize - AirRater.
- 2016 Australian Information Industry Association (AIAA) Tasmanian iAwards in the category of Community Services - The AirRater project. National runner up and state winner.
- 2016 Resilient Australia awards - Community Services category. Tasmanian State winners for AirRater project.
- 2013 Health Canada, Deputy Minister’s Award for Excellence in the category of Science.
- 2013 Health Canada, Healthy Environments and Consumer Safety (HECS) Branch Assistant Deputy Minister’s Award for Excellence in the category of Science.
- During the Community Impacts of Smoke project, I met with communities impacted by biomass smoke to inform them about the project’s goals and available tools that were available to report smoke and any associated symptoms.
Appointments and affiliations
- 2020 – present Non-voting member, GPC 44, Protecting Building Occupants from Smoke During Wildfire and Prescribed Burn Events, ASHRAE
- 2018 – present, Senior Research Fellow, Behaviour, Environment and Cognition Research Program, Mary McKillop Institute for Health Research, Australian Catholic University, Melbourne, Victoria.
- 2018 – present, Adjunct Research Fellow, Menzies Institute for Medical Research, University of Tasmania, Hobart, Tasmania.
- 2015 – 2018, Research Fellow (2017-2018 0.8 FTE; 2015-2017 0.1 FTE), School of Public Health, Curtin University, Perth, Western Australia.
- 2015 – 2018, Research Fellow (2017-2018 0.2 FTE; 2015-2017 0.9 FTE), Menzies Institute for Medical Research, University of Tasmania, Hobart, Tasmania.
- 2015 – present, Senior Research Fellow (Honorary), University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria.
- 2015 –2018, Senior Research Fellow (Adjunct), School of Sciences, Edith Cowan University, Perth, WA.
- 2013 – 2016, Associate Professor (Adjunct), School of Population Health, University of Western Australia
- 2013 – 2015, Senior Research Fellow, Faculty of Health, Engineering and Science, Edith Cowan University 2009 – 2013, Research Scientist, Air Health Science Division, Health Canada, Ottawa, Ontario
International journal review panel
- Environmental Science and Technology, Environmental Health Perspectives, Journal of Exposure Science and Environmental Epidemiology, Environmental Research, Journal of Air and Waste Management, Atmospheric Environment, Science of the Total Environment, Indoor Air, Environmental Pollution
Grant agency review panels
- 2018 - present Health Canada
- 2018 Health Canada
- 2016 – present NERC and MRC (UK)
- 2013 – present Health Research Council of New Zealand
- 2012 – present Health Effects Institute, USA
2009 – present Swiss National Science Foundation, Switzerland