Associate Professor Alison Carver
Behaviour Environment and Cognition, Mary MacKillop Institute for Health Research
Areas of expertise: physical activity; sedentary behaviour; built environment; active transport; child health; adolescent health.
ORCID ID: 0000-0001-5166-3574
Phone: +613 9230 8334
Location: ACU Melbourne Campus
Alison is a public health researcher with an overall interest in the impact of built and social environments on health-related behaviours and outcomes. In other words, she is interested in how our health is impacted by where and with whom we live, work, study and play.
She was awarded her PhD titled ‘Associations between neighbourhood safety and physical activity among youth’ by Deakin University in 2009. Alison’s postdoctoral research at Deakin was funded by an Alfred Deakin Fellowship, followed by a Heart Foundation Fellowship and focused on how social and built environments may influence children’s active transport to school and other destinations, their physical activity, and independent mobility.
Alison has attracted more than $1.2 million of external funding including three ARC Linkage Project grants and one ARC Discovery grant. Also having authored 50 articles in high-impact international peer-reviewed journals and two book chapters.
Joining ACU in 2017, she is currently a Research Fellow in the Behaviour Environment and Cognition research program at the Mary MacKillop Institute for Health Research. This program has intersecting interests in the neighbourhood built environment, social environment, physical activity, cognitive and mental health. In addition to this role, she is also a Research Integrity Advisor for ACU.
- Carver A, Barr A, Singh A, Badland H, Mavoa S, Bentley R. How are the built environment and household travel characteristics associated with children’s active transport in Melbourne, Australia. Journal of Transport & Health 2019 12:115-129, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jth.2019.01.003
- Carver A, Lorenzon A, Veitch J, Macleod A, Sugiyama T. Is greenery associated with mental health among residents of aged care facilities? A systematic search and narrative review. Aging and Mental Health 2019, (published online 15 November, 2018), https://doi.org/10.1080/13607863.2018.1516193.
- Sugiyama T, Carver A, Koohsari MJ, & Veitch J. Advantages of public green spaces in enhancing population health. Landscape & Urban Planning 2018, 178: 12–17, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landurbplan.2018.05.019
- Veitch J, Carver A, Salmon J, Abbott G, Ball K, Crawford D, Cleland V, Timperio A. What predicts children’s active transport and independent mobility in disadvantaged neighbourhoods? Health & Place 2017, 44:103-109.
- Carver A, Timperio A, Crawford D. Bicycles gathering dust rather than raising dust - Prevalence and predictors of cycling among Australian schoolchildren. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport 2015, 18(5):540-544 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jsams.2015.07.004
Accolades and awards
- Publons Peer Review Award 2018 – top 1% of reviewers in Social Sciences
- Awards for the ‘REVAMP’ study funded by ARC Linkage Project (LP120200396), on which I am a CI:
- Australian Sport, Recreation and Play Innovation Award 2019 for the category of ‘Playground Design and Development - to allow and encourage more children to play, have fun and be active’;
- National award from Parks and Leisure Australia (‘Research’ category) October 2018;
- Research Project Award, Parks and Leisure Australia VIC/TAS Awards of Excellence, May 2018.
Appointments and affiliations
- 2017 – Present: Research Fellow, Mary MacKillop Institute for Health Research, Australian Catholic University, Melbourne
- 2015-2018: Honorary Fellow, School of Exercise and Nutrition Sciences, Deakin University, Melbourne
- 2015-2017: Research Fellow, Australian Red Cross Blood Service, Melbourne
- 2013-2014: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Centre for Physical Activity and Nutrition (C-PAN), Deakin University
- 2011-2013: National Heart Foundation Postdoctoral Research Fellow, C-PAN, Deakin University
- 2010-2011: Alfred Deakin Postdoctoral Research Fellow, C-PAN, Deakin University
- 2003-2009: Data Manager, C-PAN, Deakin University
International journal review panel
- Reviewer for Journal of Transport and Health, Landscape and Urban Planning; Environment & Behavior; BMC Health; Preventive Medicine; Journal of Physical Activity & Health; Journal of Urban Health; International Journal of Pediatric Obesity; International Journal of Behavioural Nutrition and Physical Activity; Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition; Sports Medicine; Journal of Sports Sciences; Child: Care, health and development; Children Youth and Environments
Grant agency review panel
- Reviewer for Journal of Transport and Health, Landscape and Urban Planning; Environment & Behavior; BMC Health; Preventive Medicine; Journal of Physical Activity & Health; Journal of Urban Health; International Journal of Pediatric Obesity; International Journal of Behavioural Nutrition and Physical Activity; Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition; Sports Medicine; Journal of Sports Sciences; Child: Care, health and development; Children Youth and Environments.