Professor Eleonore Stump
Religion and Theology
Areas of expertise: metaphysics; medieval philosophy; philosophy of religion
ORCID ID : 0000-0002-6983-5562
Location: ACU Melbourne Campus
Eleonore Stump is the Robert J. Henle Professor of Philosophy at Saint Louis University. She is also Honorary Professor at Wuhan University and at the Logos Institute, St. Andrews, and a Professorial Fellow at Australian Catholic University. She has published extensively in philosophy of religion, contemporary metaphysics, and medieval philosophy. Her books include Aquinas (2003), Wandering in Darkness: Narrative and the Problem of Suffering (2010), and Atonement (2018). She has given the Gifford Lectures at Aberdeen (2003), the Wilde lectures at Oxford (2006), the Stewart lectures at Princeton (2009), and the Stanton lectures at Cambridge (2018). She is past president of the Society of Christian Philosophers, the American Catholic Philosophical Association, and the American Philosophical Association, Central Division; and she is a member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- Atonement, (Oxford: 2018)
- Wandering in Darkness. Narrative and the Problem of Suffering, (Oxford: 2010)
- Aquinas, (Routledge: 2003)
Accolades and awards
- Stanton Lecturer, University of Cambridge (2018)
- American Maritain Association Lifetime Achievement Award (2017)
- Honorary Doctorate, Tilburg University, Netherlands (2017)
- President, Philosophers in Jesuit Education (2013-2016)
- Recipient of the ACPA Aquinas Medal (2013)
- Vice-President of Philosophers in Jesuit Education (2012-2013)
- American Academy of Arts and Sciences (inducted 2012)
- John Templeton Foundation Grant for project on intellectual humility ($3,300,000) (with John Greco) (2013-2015)
- Issachar Fund Grant for project on philosophy and biblical narrative ($83,000) (with Godehard Brüntrup, Moshe Halbertal, Michael Rea, and David Shatz)
- President’s Research Grant, Saint Louis University (2011)
Appointments and affiliations
- Patron of the Aquinas Institute, Blackfriars Hall, Oxford (2017-)
- Visiting Professor, Faculty of Theology and Philosophy, Australian Catholic University (2014-)
- Professorial Fellow, Faculty of Theology and Philosophy, Australian Catholic University (2011-)
- Honorary Professor, Logos Institute, University of St Andrews, Scotland (2017-2020)
- Honorary Professorship, Wuhan University, China (2014-2024)
- Stewart Fellow, Princeton University (2009)
- The Cambridge Companion to Aquinas, second edition. Editor with Thomas Joseph White. New York: Cambridge University, Press, forthcoming.
- Guest Editor, special issue of Res Philosophica in honor of Fr. Theodore Vitali (2018).
- Intellectual Humility. Guest editor with John Greco, special issue of Res Philosophica 93, no.3 (2016).
- Hidden Divinity and Religious Belief: New Perspectives. Editor with Adam Green. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2015
- Göttliches Vorherwissen und menschliche Freiheit. Beiträge aus der aktuellen analytischen Religionsphilosophie. Editor with Georg Gasser and Johannes Grössl. Stuttgart: W. Kohlhammer GmbH, 2015.
- The Oxford Handbook of Aquinas. Editor with Brian Davies. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2012.
- TheCambridge Companion to Augustine. Editor with Norman Kretzmann. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2001. Second printing, 2002.
International journal review panel
Faith & Philosophy (2013-2023), Philosophy & Phenomenological Research, Science et Esprit, Revista Portuguesa de Filosofia (2010-present), Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews, History of Philosophy Quarterly (2010-2022), Philosophisches Jahrbuch (2009-present), The Journal of the Central European Society for Philosophy of Religion, Ratio (2011-present), Journal of Analytic Theology (2012-present), Boston Studies in Philosophy, Religion, and Public Life (2012), Scripta Philosophica (2012-present), Acta Philosophia (2012-present), Wuda Philosophical Review (2013), Journal of the American Philosophical Association (2014-present), PhilosophiaReformata (2014-present), Res Philosophica (2015-2017), Parousia: An International Journal for Philosophy and Culture (2016-present), Studium. Filosofía y Teología (Doctrinal Journal of Philosophy and Theology) (2017-2020), Ethos: The Quarterly of the John Paul II Institute KU (2019-present).
Grant agency review panels
I have been a reviewer for Templeton grants in the last ten years.
Select public lectures:
- “The Seven Deadly Sins and the Seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit,” Saint Louis, MO, September 2018.
- “Divine Simplicity,” Saint Louis, MO, September 2018.
- “Seven Cardinal Virtues and the Indwelling Holy Spirit,” Tactical Faith, Birmingham, AL, November 2017.
- “The Problem of Evil: A Thomistic Approach,” at Veritas Forum event at University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN, September 2016.
- Other public lectures and interviews are available here
- Now You Know Media audio course on Thomas Aquinas, June 2016.
- Closer to Truth video series
- Saint Louis University weekly reflections on the Liturgy