Dr Lois Harris
Senior Research Fellow
Assessment, evaluation and student learning
Areas of expertise: educational assessment, feedback, student engagement
Campus: ACU Brisbane Campus
ORCID ID: 0000-0002-7379-3676
Dr Lois Harris is a Senior Research Fellow at the Institute for Learning Sciences and Teacher Education. Her research focuses on assessment in compulsory and higher education, educational feedback, student engagement, and educational equity. Some of her major works include the co-edited Handbook of Human and Social Conditions in Assessment and co-authored book Using self-assessment to improve student learning, both published by Routledge.
- Adie, L., Harris, L., & Wyatt-Smith, C. (2020). Examining research into the use of data walls for teaching and learning: How are they being implemented within data use cycles? Teaching and Teacher Education, 89, doi:10.1016/j.tate.2019.103012
- Harris, L., Dargusch, J., Ames, K., & Bloomfield, C. (2020). Catering for ‘very different kids’: distance education teachers’ understandings of and strategies for student engagement. International Journal of Inclusive Education, 1-17. doi:10.1080/13603116.2020.1735543
- Harris, L., Wyatt-Smith, C., & Adie, L. (2020). Using data walls to display assessment results: a review of their affective impacts on teachers and students. Teachers and Teaching, 26(1), 50-66. doi:10.1080/13540602.2020.1739018
- Harris, L. R., Brown, G. T. L., & Dargusch, J. (2018). Not playing the game: Student assessment resistance as a form of agency. Australian Educational Researcher. 45(1), 125-140. doi: 10.1007/s13384-018-0264-0
- Harris, L.R. & Brown, G.T.L. (2018). Using self-assessment to improve student learning. New York: Routledge.
- Brown, G. T. L. & Harris, L. R. (2018). Methods in feedback research. In A. A. Lipnevich & J. K. Smith (Eds.), The Cambridge Handbook of Instructional Feedback. (pp. 97-119) Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Brown, G. T. L., & Harris, L. R. (Eds.). (2016). Handbook of Human and Social Conditions in Assessment. New York: Routledge.
Accolades and awards
- 2017 – Central Queensland University School of Education and the Arts Dean’s Award for Outstanding Research: Mid-Career Research Award
- 2014 – American Educational Research Association Classroom Assessment SIG Distinguished Paper Award for Harris, L. R., Brown, G. T. L., & Harnett, J. A. (2014, April 3-7). Classifying feedback: Identifying the content of New Zealand students’ written peer- and self-assessment comments using Hattie & Timperley’s feedback typology. Paper presented at the American Educational Research Association Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA.