Dr Hsin-Hui Wang
Areas of expertise: STEM education; affective factors in learning science; argumentative inquiry teaching; socio-scientific instruction; educational psychology
Phone: 07 3861 6337
Location: ACU Brisbane Campus
ORCID ID: 0000-0001-8289-3073
Dr Hsin-Hui Wang is a Research Fellow at the Institute for Learning Sciences and Teacher Education. Prior to this role, Hsin-Hui was a Postdoctoral Research Fellow and an Adjunct Assistant Professor at the National Sun Yat-sen University in Taiwan. She taught educational psychology and learning assessment and evaluation for pre-service teachers.
Hsin-Hui’s research consists of two parts. The first part is about primary and secondary science education. In the past 10 years she has taught in eight different longitudinal experimental classes and designed inquiry-based science curriculum programs over this period. The courses focused on improving students' scientific competencies and attitudes. The results of those experimental courses were published in seven Social Science Citation Index (SSCI) journal articles.
The second part of Hsin-Hui’s research is large-scale data analysis. She has performed analyses on PISA 2015 and the National Survey of Scientific Literacy in Taiwan. The results of her analysis of these datasets were published in one SSCI journal – Current Psychology, a journal ranked number one in Taiwan – Journal of Research in Education Sciences and three book chapters. She is currently researching the performance of Taiwanese and Australian students in PISA 2015.
As well as the above research, she collaborates with Professor Huann Lin in conducting professional development workshops for science teachers and in designing STEM lesson plans and test items.
- Wang, H. H., Hong, Z. R., Lin. H. S., & Tsai, C. Y. (2020). The relationships among adult sustainability attitudes, psychological well-being, nature relatedness, and interest in scientific issues. Current Psychology. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12144-020-00708-1
- Chen, H. T., Wang, H. H., Lu Y. Y., & Hong, Z. R. (2019). Bridging the gender gap of children’s engagement in learning science and argumentation through a modified argument-driven inquiry. International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education, 17(4), 635-655.
- Lu, Y. Y., Chen, H. T., Wang, H. H., Lawrenz, F., & Hong, Z. R. (2019). Investigating grade and gender differences in students’ attitudes toward life and well-being. Applied Research in Quality of Life. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11482-019-09746-9.
- Wang, H. H., Hong, Z. R., Liu, S. C., & Lin, H. S. (2018). The impact of socio-scientific issue discussions on student environmentalism. EURASIA Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education, 14(12), em1624.
- Wang, H. H., Chen, H. T., Lin, H. S., Huang, Y. N., & Hong, Z. R. (2017). Longitudinal study of a cooperation-driven, socio-scientific issue intervention on promoting students’ critical thinking and self-regulation in learning science. International Journal of Science Education, 39(15), 2002-2026.
- Wang, H. H., Chen, H. T., Lin, H. S., & Hong, Z. R. (2017). The effects of college students’ positive thinking, learning motivation and self-regulation through a self-reflection intervention in Taiwan. Higher Education Research & Development, 36(1), 201-216.
- Chen, H. T., Wang, H. H., Lu, Y. Y., Lin, H. S., & Hong, Z. R. (2016). Using a modified argument-driven inquiry to promote elementary school students’ engagement in learning science and argumentation. International Journal of Science Education, 38(2), 170-191.
- Wang, H. H., Chen, H. T., Yore, L., & Hong, Z. R. (2015). An investigation of Taiwanese college students’ personality traits and self-worth. Journal of Happiness Studies, 16(6), 1593-1613.
- 2020, Identifying the impact of motivating students through making STEM learning interesting in low SES schooling contexts. Principal Investigator: Prof. Huann Lin, Prof. Wilhelmina Van Rooy. Co-Investigators: Prof. Vincent Geiger, Mr Michael Easey, Dr Mun Yee Lai, Dr Kimberley Wilson, Assoc Prof. Janeen Lamb, Dr. Dung Tran, Dr Jill Fielding-Wells, and Dr Hsin-Hui Wang
- 2020, Pre-service primary teachers' competencies in asking and conducting researchable science questions using practical investigations. Principal Investigator: Prof. Wilhelmina Van Rooy. Co-Investigators: Prof. Huann Lin, Dr Kimberley Wilson, Dr Robyn Sanders and Dr Hsin-Hui Wang
Accolades and awards
- Honorary member of the Phi Tau Phi Scholastic Honor Society of the Republic of China (2016).
- Outstanding Teaching Assistants (2014) for subject Implication and Implementation of Psychology, National Sun Yat-sen University.
- Doctoral Scholarship (2012) for Full-time High-achieving Student in College of Social Science, National Sun Yat-sen University, TAIWAN.
- Five times Student’s Journal Publication Award (2012 – 2016) in College of Social Science, National Sun Yat- sen University, TAIWAN.
- Outstanding Teaching Assistants (2009) for subject The Application of Scientific Inquiry, National Sun Yat-sen University.
International journal review panel
- International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education
- Cooperative Researcher / 2017 school year NSYSU international partnership project on pre-service student-teacher educational apprenticeship in NIU and Sycamore High School / Ministry of Education, R.O.C. / Dec 2017-Jun 2018
- 2018 Survey of Scientific Literacy in Taiwan.
- 2018 Teacher Professional Development Workshop, Matsu Senior High School.
- 2017 Teacher Professional Development Workshop, Kinmen Jin-cheng Junior High School.
- 2017 Teacher Professional Development Workshop, Kaohsiung Municipal Baolai Junior High School.
- International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education Editorial Board Meeting & Workshop, September 10-12, 2012, October 21-22, 2013, October 21-23, 2014, October 3-5, 2015, October 27-29, 2016, November 16-18, 2017, and October 11-12, 2018.
- Press Conference on Contextualized Science Assessment Network, January 23, 2017.
- Citizens’ Scientific Competency, 2019 Symposium on Taiwan Citizens’ Scientific Literacy in 2018, Nov 15, 2019.
- Inquiry and Practice, Inquiry and Practice Workshop, Guoguang Laboratory School, NSYSU, December 28, 2017.
- The Essentials of Writing Academic Paper, Teacher Professional Development Workshop, Guoguang Laboratory School, NSYSU, November 30, 2017.
- Multiple Assessment, Teacher Certification Examination Workshop, NSYSU, October 20, 2017.
- Guiding an Independent Study and Recognizing Research Methods, Teacher Professional Development Workshop, Guoguang Laboratory School, NSYSU, September 22, 2017.
- Be a Happy and Excellent TA, Training Workshop for Teaching Assistants, Shu-Te University, March 27, 2010.
- My TA Experience, Workshop for Teaching Assistants, National Sun Yat-sen University, September 26, 2009.