Dianoia Institute of Philosophy announces the creation of a new Graduate Program in philosophy in the analytic tradition, offering PhD and MPhil degrees on a direct supervision model. Applications are now open for domestic and international Higher Degree Research candidates with intended research topics in one of Dianoia’s areas of expertise: logic, metaphysics, epistemology, ethics, metaethics, social and political philosophy, moral psychology, philosophy of mind, philosophy of science, philosophy of language, and philosophy of religion, and who wish to commence their studies in 2021.
Successful applicants will be fully immersed in the intellectual life of the Institute, at ACU’s St. Patrick’s Campus in Fitzroy, Melbourne, participating in seminars, conferences, and reading groups, and working collaboratively with our team of world-class scholars on the cutting edge of contemporary philosophy.
Successful applicants will be awarded financial support through one of the University’s competitive research scholarships. Financial support includes a stipend scholarship, a fees-offset scholarship or a tuition fee waiver (as appropriate). Full details are found in the University’s research scholarships website.
Information about the PhD and MPhil
At ACU the PhD is a three year degree, while the MPhil is a two year degree. A PhD Thesis must make an original contribution to the field, whereas an MPhil Thesis is required to display mastery of its field. For more information about HDR/graduate degrees at ACU, consult the following links:
Before you apply:
Prior to submitting your application you should review:
- the PhD and MPhil eligibility criteria in the Higher Degree Research Regulations
- the stipend scholarship information on the ACU Scholarships page
- the Dianoia Institute areas of research expertise
How to Apply:
Applicants must follow the instructions on the ACU Become a Research Candidate Page and submit their completed application by 11:59pm AEST Monday 26th April 2021.
Applicants must also submit the following directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
- A Cover Letter of no more than 2 pages outlining your background, your intended area of research/research topic per the Institute’s areas of expertise; and potential supervisors within Dianoia that would align with your proposed topic of research
- Your current CV; and
- Sample(s) of writing which showcase your philosophical research skills
- If your writing sample is over 5,000 words please highlight an excerpt within the text of not more than 5,000 words
Further information on the application process
Please contact Candidature Services on email@example.com