Professor Gillian Russell
Areas of expertise: philosophy of logic and language; epistemology
HDR Supervisor accreditation status: Full
ORCID ID: 0000-0001-6423-0655
Location: ACU Melbourne Campus
I’m a research professor in the Dianoia Institute of Philosophy at ACU, as well as a part-time Professorial Fellow at the Arché Research Centre at the University of St Andrews in Scotland.
Before moving to Australia I was Alumni Distinguished Professor in Philosophy at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. And from 2004-2015 I worked at Washington University in St Louis.
I was an undergrad at the University of St Andrews and did my PhD in philosophy at Princeton University (2004). In 2005 I was a Killam Postdoc at the University of Alberta in Edmonton.
Philosophy of Logic
- “Logical Nihilism: could there be no logic?“ Philosophical Issues, volume 28, issue 1, pages 308–324, 2018. DOI: 10.1111/phis.12127
- “Deviance and Vice: strength as a theoretical virtue in the epistemology of logic“ Philosophy and Phenomenological Research 99, issue 3, 548–563, 2019. DOI: 10.1111/phpr.12498
- “Logic isn’t Normative“ Inquiry2017 DOI: 10.1080/0020174X.2017.1372305
- “Metaphysical Analyticity and the Epistemology of Logic“ Philosophical Studies, Volume 171, Issue 1, pages 161-175, 2014. DOI: 10.1007/s11098-013-0255-y
- “One True Logic?“ Journal of Philosophical Logic, v 37, no. 6, pages 593-611, April 2008. DOI: 10.1007/s10992-008-9082-6
The Analytic/Synthetic Distinction
Barriers to Entailment
- “Indexicals, Context-Sensitivity and the Failure of Implication“ Synthese Volume 183, Issue 2, pages 143-160, 2011. DOI:10.1007/s11229-010-9756-9
- “In Defence of Hume’s Law“ in Hume, ‘Is’, and ‘Ought’: New Essays edited by Charles Pigden (Palgrave MacMillan, 2010).
- “Barriers to Implication” in Hume, ‘Is’, and ‘Ought’: New Essays edited by Charles Pigden (Palgrave MacMillan, 2010).
Social and Political Philosophy of Logic and Language
Appointments and affiliations
- Professorial Fellow at the University of St Andrews (2019-2024)
- Philosophy of Logic subject editor for the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy