International HDR candidates should review the COVID-19 Research FAQ page for guidance and information.

International candidates who have varied their enrolment should inform their International Student Advisor

We have confirmation from the Department of Home Affairs that studying online during this disruptive time is permitted and will not impact on your visa.  ACU will maintain your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) provided you are enrolled in Semester 1 2020 in either on-campus or off-campus (online) subjects and whether you are in Australia or located in another country, and that your course enrolment status remains on campus.

The Department of Home Affairs has provided advice about student-visa obligations for students who are already studying (i.e. continuing and re-enrolling students with a ‘STUDYING’ visa status):

  • an International Interruption to Study due to compassionate/compelling circumstances can be granted for cases where, due to the coronavirus travel restrictions, students cannot return to Australia in time to continue their studies (or would normally be expected to leave Australia).
  • if you are affected by the coronavirus travel restrictions you can apply for an International Interruption to Study.
  • if you apply for an International Interruption to Study due to travel restrictions, and your International Interruption to Study is approved, your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) will be cancelled and you will be given a new CoE for your future re-commencement. This is how the Department of Home of Affairs is notified that you are on an International Interruption to Study. You will need to check directly with the Department of Home Affairs what your visa status is while on an International Interruption to Study.

Students who have enquires relating to the status of their visa, should contact the Department of Home Affairs.

Please refer to the Department of Home Affairs student visa page for all up to date information.

If your student visa is going to expire soon you’ll need to apply for an extension of your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) and a new visa. It’s important to be aware of your visa’s expiry date and apply to extend your CoE at least one month before your current visa expires.

For information on applying for a new visa, visit the Department of Home Affairs website.

If you’re extending your visa, remember to contact your health insurance provider to extend your Overseas Student Health Cover.

If you are no longer studying, you will need to contact the Department of Home Affairs or a registered migration agent for information on other visa types and options.

If your International Interruption to Study is approved, you will be issued with a new Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for your re-commencement intake. 

For deferral, please contact

For visa matters, please contact the Department of Home Affairs.

Yes, if you are impacted by the travel restrictions, or if you cannot study all your units online, you may apply for a reduced study load due to compelling and compassionate circumstances. Please contact your International Student Adviser

Please contact the Department of Home Affairs for advice.

An Australian government hotline has been established to assist international students with questions or concerns relating to their study and novel coronavirus:


Phone: 1300 981 621 (8am to 8pm AEDST Monday to Friday)

Decisions related to eligibility for persons affected by the coronavirus will depend on how long the travel restrictions remain in place. The Department of Home Affairs will consider making concessions, on a case-by-case basis, for those applicants affected, once travel restrictions have been lifted.

Have a question?


We're available 9am–5pm AEDT,
Monday to Friday

If you’ve got a question, our AskACU team has you covered. You can search FAQs, text us, email, live chat, call – whatever works for you.

Live chat with us now

Chat to our team for real-time
answers to your questions.

Launch live chat
Visit our FAQs page

Find answers to some commonly
asked questions.

See our FAQs