Australian states and territories have put a six-month moratorium on evictions for both residential and commercial tenants during the coronavirus pandemic. This will prevent landlords from evicting tenants if they are unable to pay rent due to financial distress as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

If you have any concerns about your accommodation, please contact your accommodation provider or the relevant state government authority:

Australian Capital Territory

Contact the Tenancy Advice Service at Legal Aid ACT on 1300 402 512


1800 QSTUDY (1800 778 839)

24/7 hotline for international students across Queensland

QSTARS is a free independent advice and referral service for all Queensland renters

The Brisbane Student Hub also offers a free information, advice and referral service to international students.

New South Wales

Contact Study NSW funded International Student Legal Service NSW at Redfern Legal Centre.

To make an appointment, call (02) 9698 7645 or make an enquiry online using the free check-in app. Free legal advice is by appointment, usually on a Tuesday evening or a Wednesday evening, either in person, by phone or using video-link up.


Visit the Consumer Affairs Victoria and also see your rights as a tenant at Tenants Victoria

Study Melbourne also offers an International Students Accommodation Legal Service, a free, confidential and independent service to help international students with accommodation issues, including those students who remain overseas.

To make a phone appointment email Translation services are also available.

The International Student Support Network (ISSN) is an initiative of the Australian Homestay Network (AHN). They offer short-term homestay accommodation to financially vulnerable international students in Australia who are in need of support and assistance as a result of the global economic crisis caused by COVID-19. Click here to register.

NSW Government’s international student temporary crisis accommodation scheme

The NSW Government is funding temporary crisis accommodation for vulnerable international students in NSW during the current COVID-19 pandemic.

The scheme will be delivered through approved student accommodation and homestay providers.

Service NSW is administering the application process and will allocate the accommodation.

Applicants may indicate a preference for accommodation and may want to consider nominating ACU’s Miguel Cordero residence in Camperdown.

To be eligible for crisis accommodation, you must:

  • hold an international student visa or have moved from a student visa to a bridging visa
  • have lost, or be at risk of losing, access to secure accommodation
  • have no other avenues of support.

You will need a support letter from ACU. Please email to request a Support Letter and help with your application.

Read more about NSW Government’s International student crisis accommodation

VIC COVID-19 Rent Relief Grant

The Victorian Government has established an $80 million rental assistance fund to provide rent relief payments of up to $2000 to Victorians experiencing rental hardship due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

The grant is specifically for tenants and is paid directly to the tenant’s agent, lessor or landlord to contribute to the tenant’s rental payments, under their new rental agreement.

To be eligible for the grant you will need to have:

  • Registered a revised rental agreement with Consumer Affairs Victoria
  • Have less than $5,000 in savings (excluding superannuation)
  • Have an income of less than $1,903 per week before tax
  • Be paying more than 30% of your income in rent

Please contact the ACU Rental Advisory Service for more information and support with your application.

Read more about Victorian Government Rent relief grant

If you need advice or assistance to find accommodation, or you need rental advice, please contact the ACU Rental Advisory Service for support.

Yes, you need to keep your contact details up to date in Student Connect all the time.

Yes. To learn about how we are supporting students in ACU’s Living and Learning Communities, please visit our student accommodation support FAQs page.

Have a question?


We're available 9am–5pm AEDT,
Monday to Friday

If you’ve got a question, our AskACU team has you covered. You can search FAQs, text us, email, live chat, call – whatever works for you.

Live chat with us now

Chat to our team for real-time
answers to your questions.

Launch live chat
Visit our FAQs page

Find answers to some commonly
asked questions.

See our FAQs