Staff leave arrangements

Our casual staff are important and we recognise the difficulties you face at this time.

Some of our casual staff will be able to continue to work from home. Where the work cannot be done from home, individual circumstances for casual staff will be reviewed as they arise.

If you are concerned about your ability to undertake all or some of your work remotely, please speak to your supervisor in the first instance who will seek advice from Human Resources about all the options available to you.

 These options include taking annual leave or long service leave, and when these are exhausted, leave without pay. In many cases, staff may be able to work remotely for their usual, reduced, or modified hours.

Staff may be asked to contribute to other relevant and applicable work activities, where their usual work cannot be performed remotely, or because operational requirements have changed.

See also the FAQs relating to the university’s return to campus.

You will need to advise your supervisor and take Personal Sick Leave until cleared to return to working (remotely).

If you need to self-isolate and you are not unwell, you should work remotely if it is possible to do so. You need to discuss arrangements with your supervisor. You can be directed to work, and this may also include modified duties and you will not be on leave in this situation.

If you are required to self-isolate and you are not unwell, and you can work remotely but opt not to work, you will need to take annual leave or long service leave until the date you are no longer required to self-isolate. 

If you are required to self-isolate and your work cannot be done remotely, you will need to take Personal Sick Leave until the date you are required to self-isolate.

If school or day care closures affect your ability to attend work on campus or undertake all or some of your work, speak with your supervisor to discuss your options.

If you are required to provide short term, emergency care to children because of school or day care closures due to a confirmed case of COVID-19 you can apply for personal/carer’s leave and must provide evidence of the school’s closure with your leave application. Personal/carer’s leave is applicable for the immediate emergency only (no more than 3 days).

Staff leave arrangements for Victoria’s State of Disaster

The access is available up to one day (7 hours) each week from 24 August until 23 October for staff in circumstances where children of school age are unable to return to school from 12 October (e.g. year 8 to year 10 students in metropolitan Melbourne). All students in Victoria will have returned to on-site schooling by 26 October.

You can take this time across the week, to provide the necessary flexibility to accommodate both the additional child-care and remote schooling arising from Stage 3 and 4 restrictions in Victoria and your core work activities.

Staff should discuss their particular situation with their supervisors and plan their leave requirements.  These might be different in each week. 

It is important that supervisors and staff discuss leave arrangements to make sure that the university’s core operational requirements are met (e.g. timetabled teaching and essential university services).

You can apply in Staff Connect, accessing your existing personal / carer’s leave balance. The correct leave category is ‘Pers Lve - Carers Without Medical Cert. (Personal Leave)’.

No, the access doesn’t accumulate in this way.

No, not for the purpose of eligibility for personal / carer’s leave.

A government-declared state of disaster (or state of emergency) is an administrative measure which empowers a government to take extraordinary actions to address the state of disaster of emergency.

An ‘emergency’ for the purposes of taking personal / carer’s leave has a technical meaning supported by the Fair Work Ombudsman. Generally, it is considered to be something unexpected and of short duration.

However, ACU recognises the significant challenges being faced by ACU parents and families in Victoria, who are juggling work, childcare and remote learning responsibilities. On this basis, ACU has extended access to personal / carer’s leave entitlements.

Casual staff may be eligible for unpaid carer’s leave.

Continuing or fixed term staff who have exhausted their paid personal / carer’s leave may be eligible for unpaid carer’s leave, or they can access their annual leave or long service leave. Leave without pay may be available where all other leave is exhausted.

Any performance review process needs to take into account performance relative to opportunity (e.g. FTE equivalency, periods of absence). Staff should raise this in performance review conversations with their supervisor, and supervisors need to have regard to these considerations.

However, staff cannot be ‘penalised’ for accessing leave entitlements.

Have a question?


We're available 9am–5pm AEDT,
Monday to Friday

If you’ve got a question, our AskACU team has you covered. You can search FAQs, text us, email, live chat, call – whatever works for you.

Live chat with us now

Chat to our team for real-time
answers to your questions.

Launch live chat
Visit our FAQs page

Find answers to some commonly
asked questions.

See our FAQs