Your Side Australia needs volunteers to assist in a variety of ways which best suit your interest and skills.
Volunteering can include:
- Supporting clients on a one to one basis during events and activities.
- Assisting with shopping, or assisting the driver to operate a bus hoist
- Being a companion to some very fun and interesting people
- Supporting office staff with administration tasks
By volunteering just a small amount of your time, you can also expand your own work skills, achieve greater mental and physical health and feel a sense of personal fulfilment.
Tasks may include:
- Engage in meaningful conversations with people living with a disability respecting client’s confidentiality, choice, dignity and respect.
- Help driver load passengers into wheelchair modified bus via a hydraulic hoist or assist driver to safety clamp wheelchairs into a tracking system on buses.
- Provide support with mobility, pushing wheelchairs and assisting participants to travel to the venue and back.
- Act as a facilitator during social support trip. Liaise directly with the reception/customer service at the venue.
- Assist as companion to wheelchair dependent adults on day trips. This can include pushing wheelchairs, assisting with shopping and at mealtime if required.
- Other office-based administrative tasks.
Volunteers do not assist with personal care (which includes helping in the bathroom) or administering medication. Please note Your Side has a no lift policy for all staff and volunteers.
This opportunity is suited to students with strong people skills, who are approachable and friendly. Volunteers must demonstrate a genuine caring and compassionate attitude and a passion for working with people with a disability, older people or those experiencing marginalisation or disadvantage.
Applicants will be required to attend a formal interview and present a current National Police Check and photo ID.
Successful applicants must be willing to comply with WH&S and volunteer standards.
When and where
Weekdays & weekends 8:30am to 5:30pm.
Your Side head office is in Chatswood. Activities and events are held in various locations around Sydney.
Applications are currently closed
Before applying for this opportunity please ensure:
By applying to ACU Engagement for this opportunity, you acknowledge that your ACU email address and the information you provide in your application will be shared with the organisation that offers this opportunity. The organisation will keep your personal information confidential.