Your Side Australia needs volunteers to assist in a variety of ways which best suit your interest and skills.
Volunteering can include:
- Supporting clients on a one to one basis during events and activities.
- Assisting with shopping, or assisting the driver to operate a bus hoist
- Being a companion to some very fun and interesting people
- Supporting office staff with administration tasks
By volunteering just a small amount of your time, you can also expand your own work skills, achieve greater mental and physical health and feel a sense of personal fulfilment.
Tasks may include:
- Engage in meaningful conversations with people living with a disability respecting client’s confidentiality, choice, dignity and respect.
- Help driver load passengers into wheelchair modified bus via a hydraulic hoist or assist driver to safety clamp wheelchairs into a tracking system on buses.
- Provide support with mobility, pushing wheelchairs and assisting participants to travel to the venue and back.
- Act as a facilitator during social support trip. Liaise directly with the reception/customer service at the venue.
- Assist as companion to wheelchair dependent adults on day trips. This can include pushing wheelchairs, assisting with shopping and at mealtime if required.
- Other office-based administrative tasks.
Volunteers do not assist with personal care (which includes helping in the bathroom) or administering medication. Please note Your Side has a no lift policy for all staff and volunteers.
This opportunity is suited to students with strong people skills, who are approachable and friendly. Volunteers must demonstrate a genuine caring and compassionate attitude and a passion for working with people with a disability, older people or those experiencing marginalisation or disadvantage.
Applicants will be required to attend a formal interview and present a current National Police Check and photo ID.
Successful applicants must be willing to comply with WH&S and volunteer standards.
When and where
Weekdays & weekends 8:30am to 5:30pm.
Your Side head office is in Chatswood. Activities and events are held in various locations around Sydney.
Please send your expression of interest to ACU Engagement at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include in your email:
- your student number
- your community engagement unit
- contact number
- the number of community engagement hours you would like to complete with Your Side
- details of the time and days you are available