Ballarat YMCA is a community based organisation which delivers programs and services to build healthier, happier and connected communities. YMCA work in partnership with local government, non-profit groups and other community service organisations in the areas of recreation, health and fitness, children’s services, youth and family services. Youth Services provides opportunities for us to fulfil our belief statement; “we believe in the power of inspired young people,” by providing opportunities for young people to be engaged, grow and thrive through our varied programs that encourage young people to develop life skills confidence and connections.
There are a range of opportunities that you can get involved in including:
- Basketball program – YMCA runs a drop in Basketball program for teens that we require some regular assistance that can provide some skills and three on three comps (fairly unstructured) as a means of engaging young people.
- Community garden - Delacombe community garden club runs each Tuesday from 10:30am – 12pm we need weeders, waterers, planters, builders and harvesters to assist. All members enjoy a social cup of teat the end of the session.
- Fun Skate recreational roller-skating is held monthly we require assistants to help young children learn to skate. We are hoping to extend this program to teens in the near future also.
- Mental Health focus groups we would like to facilitate some focus groups for up to 10 young people with various themes relating to mental health and providing resources, reducing stigma and supporting young people to develop sound self care strategies.
- Youth Centre LSEP (Life Skills and Empowerment program) which focuses on developing life skills to enable young people to shift their level of disadvantage and get work, complete school or go onto to further study.
In all YMCA opportunities, we would encourage volunteers to make appropriate relationships and build rapport with young people to support them in their growth and development. Volunteers would provide suitable supervision, ensure participant safety and be a positive role model for young people.
- Ballarat YMCA strongly supports Equal Opportunity and Access to Services, and requires all volunteers and staff to be sensitive and inclusive of individual needs including but not limited to cultural, religious and sexual orientation
- All volunteers are required to undertake a Police Records check. Commencement is subject to the outcome of this check.
- All volunteers are required to obtain and maintain a valid Volunteer Working With Children Check.
- Prior to being appointed to a volunteer role full disclosure is required of any pre-existing injury or disease that might be affected by volunteer tasks
- Training will be offered to volunteers to ensure they meet their role standards. Other training opportunities will be offered to volunteers as it comes to hand. Volunteers may be required to self fund this or they may be some support from YMCA available.
- Volunteers would be required to complete incident reports should issues arise. Volunteers would be expected to follow all YMCA Policies and Procedures especially in regards to Safeguarding children and young people and Occupational Health and safety.
- Volunteer would be required to sit, stand, walk and participate in some physical activity as deemed by the program.
- Volunteers will be required to comply with the YMCA code of conduct.
- Volunteers would be supported by staff members and should raise any concerns immediately with appropriate staff member/s
When and Where
Various sites across Ballarat.
Various times and dates. Usually at 1-3 hours per shift.
To apply for a program please contact
0434 743 993
Important notice If you are accessing this opportunity as a volunteer outside of a requirement of your course (i.e., for a unit or practicum requirement), then you are NOT covered by ACU's insurance policies. If you are completing this as a required part of your course, then you are covered by ACU's insurances. If accessing this opportunity as a volunteer, we strongly recommend you confirm with the organisation that they have appropriate insurance for volunteers.