Supporting students with special needs and various disabilities within a high school context in and outside the classroom environment.
ACU students will be provided the opportunity to assist mainstream students with varying disabilities as well as socio economic disadvantages within the framework of a high school environment. They will be given the opportunity to work 1:1 with certain students to support their literacy and numeracy needs in class under the guidance of the classroom teacher. This will also include professional dialogue around student's programs, varying needs and future/creative ways to support particular students with the Learning and Support Coordinator.
Students will receive a brief induction/training on day 1 which will cover school and role expectations as well as Departmental WH&S.
- Supporting students across 5 periods a day in specific subject areas.
- Liaising with the Learning Support Coordinator on a daily basis.
- Assisting in the school's Learning Hub.
- Interacting through various activities with students that require extra help.
- Working With Children Check (Voluntary is ok).
- 100 Pt standard ID check.
- DEC Student Check (This will be done by the school administration office AFTER supplying the above documents. This process can take between 2-10 working days to verify and must before obtained BEFORE starting at any Department of Education school).
- Students will undertake a phone interview with the Learning & Support Coordinator.
- Students will be invited to undertake a trial session before being accepted for their full placement hours. This trial session forms part of the screening process.
- The Learning & Support Coordinator will be responsible for supervising ACU students.
When and where
Week days during school terms. Students will complete their placement hours once a week and will need to be available on their allocated day from 8:30am – 3pm.
- Cammeraygal Middle School - 192 Pacific Highway Crows Nest 2065
- Cammeraygal Senior Campus - 149 West St Crows Nest 2065
The placement will mostly occur at the Middle School campus.
Education degree students preferred.
If you would like to apply for this opportunity, but do not feel as though you can complete all your placement hours in this program, please ask your lecturer about whether you may split your placement hours between more than one organisation.
Before applying for this opportunity please ensure:
In the 'Message' section of your application please note:
- Your current year of study (e.g., second year of your primary education degree)
By applying to ACU Engagement for this opportunity, you acknowledge that your ACU email address and the information you provide in your application will be shared with the organisation that offers this opportunity. The organisation will keep your personal information confidential.