This opportunity is open to Social Work students (SWTP316) only.
Kicking Goals Together (KGT) has a consistent core focus on engaging with young people from refugee and migrant backgrounds, so there is an ongoing need to recruit for the Skill Up program and soccer competition within these demographics. For the program to be sustainable and successful in the future, the challenge will be in establishing and maintaining external partner relationships with local schools, multicultural organisations (like MDA) and other partner organisations to encourage the participation of young people in this program. ACU Engagement and the School of Behavioural and Health Sciences is seeking Social Work students (SWTP316) to develop a project, which responds to this need and delivers a proposal to ensure KGT’s sustainability.
In a small group, develop a project proposal which addresses the need for sustainable participatory growth in the KGT program. The project will require students to engage with local community members to ensure ongoing participation from refugee and migrant young people, to remain at the core of the program.
Students will be required to:
- Demonstrate engagement strategies with young people from refugee and migrant backgrounds in the KGT program.
- Engage with local communities, organisations (including MDA) and schools to establish a network of community supporters and recruitment pathways for KGT
- Develop a proposal for ACU Engagement and the School of Behavioural and Health Sciences, which identifies strategies for sustainable participation from migrant and refugee youth in KGT. As part of the proposal, establish:
- Recruitment process for engaging migrant and refugee young people from local communities
- Communications plan for sustainable engagement with internal and external stakeholders
- Advocate and support youth from refugee and migrant backgrounds, as well as international students, in assessing their psychosocial needs.
- Promote and market the KGT program as required.
The student group will be expected to meet with ACU Engagement staff at least once a week throughout the length of the project (meeting times are negotiable). KGT is held once a week on a Wednesday afternoon – students will be expected to attend on an ‘as needed’ basis.
When and where
Whilst the program commences in early August, we are seeking interest from students to develop the project within the first week of Semester 2, 2019, commencing Monday 29th July 2019.
ACU Banyo campus, ACU Engagement
There are 4 places available to Social Work students.
All applications are processed through InPlace.
Before applying for this opportunity, ensure:
Once satisfied that you comply with the above, click on the ‘Apply now’ button below and you will be taken to the InPlace webpage to process your application.
For information and tools on how to use InPlace, please refer to the guide and video links below:
Student Reference Guide (PDF, 1.2MB)
ACU InPlace - Student Navigation
ACU InPlace - Document Upload
If you are experiencing any issues with InPlace or have questions about this opportunity, please contact ACU Engagement: firstname.lastname@example.org