This program from Vinnies aims to foster a sense of identity and belonging, and empower migrant and refugee children to achieve their full potential.
Children from migrant and refugee backgrounds often face numerous challenges and complex transitions upon settling into Australia. However, we also acknowledge that children are resilient and they come to Australia with a range of strengths. Using a strengths-based approach in our program delivery, we seek to address the needs of the children and ensure they achieve their full potential as active and engaged members of the Australian society.
- Assist in English literacy classes and facilitate weekly cultural activities
- Work as a team with program leaders and other volunteers to plan and implement activities
- Ensure that duty of care requirements are met for all programs participants and volunteers
- Compliance with organisational policies and procedures, training requirements, legislation, health and safety, diversity and a commitment to quality systems and continuous improvement.
- Other duties as required
- Patient, approachable and sensitive to cross-cultural issues and challenges
- Passionate about working with children and young people
- Enthusiastic, energetic and has a positive mindset
- Has a sound knowledge of English
- Ability to establish strong working relationships with peers and program participants
- Good organisational and leadership skills
- Adapts to changing environments and demands
When and where
The program takes place at:
North Ainslie Primary School
- Monday, Wednesday & Thursday from 09:00 – 11:00am
Florey Primary School
- Every Thursday from 09:00 – 10:00am
Applications for this opportunity are processed directly with the organisation.
Before applying for this opportunity please ensure:
Remember If you are accessing this opportunity as a volunteer outside of a requirement of your course (i.e. not for a unit or practicum requirement), then you are NOT covered by ACU's insurance policies. If accessing this opportunity as a volunteer, we strongly recommend you confirm with the organisation that they have appropriate insurance for volunteers.
To apply, please contact Shan Chevalier:
(02) 6234 7329