Save the Children has been delivering the Cubbies program at the Fitzroy Adventure Playground for the last four years. Our program aims to support children and young people to strengthen their resilience, connectedness and agency within their community.
Children and young people living in public housing do not have access to their own ‘backyard’, or safe play space in the community. We know children and young people have a greater chance of reaching their potential when they have opportunities to engage in stimulating and safe environments, experiences and relationships that support the development of individual capacities.
Cubbies is a free program operating after school hours and on the weekend four times a week for 2 hours each session. It is targeted towards school aged children predominantly residing in public housing estates in the City of Yarra from Culturally and Linguistically backgrounds. Our diverse team of qualified, local and culturally connected Youth Workers, Bicultural Workers, students and volunteers, harness the power of established personal and organisational relationships to create a safe and supervised environment at the Fitzroy Adventure Playground.
Since 2015, our team have established strong relationships, trust and reciprocity with both the community and local partners. These critical bonds and the unique space of the Fitzroy Adventure Playground provides a platform for our staff and volunteers to utilise unstructured and structured play and activities, to support children and young people to create their own opportunities for play and build their resilience through access to positive mentors and opportunities for beneficial risk taking.
ACU students will play a critical role in supporting children and young people to increase their sense of belonging and agency within their community through:
- Providing individual and group support to children and parents undertaking the Cubbies Program (e.g. structured and unstructured activities based on a play-based curriculum incorporating creative, physical, social and cognitive play, life skills sessions and mentorship)
- Assisting the SCA workers to set up including food preparation, and maintaining a safe adventure playground environment
- Complying with all program policies and procedures
- Following reasonable instructions from the SCA staff during the program session
- Attending minimum 75% of sessions for a minimum of one semester
- Raise any concerns including child safeguarding to the SCA staff
As volunteers, ACU students will be required to comply with the following processes:
- Expression of Interest in Volunteering (e.g. email or letter of interest to the Volunteer Coordinator or Team Leader at SCA)
- Submission of 4 forms of initial ID and a selfie with one form of ID:
- Working with Children Certificate
- Police Checks
- Birth Certificate
- University Student ID
- Driver’s License
- Immigrant/Refugee ID
- Bank Statement, etc.
- Attendance of an Induction Session and Group Interview after submission and verification of initial IDs and documents
- Completion of 2 Character Reference Checks by SCA Volunteer Coordinator
- Online Application for Police Check via Fit2Work (National or International; or both if international student)
- Online Application for Working with Children Certificate
- Formal Offer of Student Volunteer Position
- Start of Volunteering Work
When and where
Cubbies is a free after school program running at the Fitzroy Adventure Playground four times per week during school terms:
- Monday: 3pm – 6pm
- Tuesday: 3pm – 6pm
- Thursday: 3pm – 6pm
- Saturday: 12pm – 5pm
The Playground is located on the corner of Condell St and Young St, Fitzroy, VIC 3065.
Before applying for this opportunity please ensure:
In the 'Message' section of your application please note:
- Days/locations you are available to attend the program
- If you have a background in any of the following fields:
- Art therapy
- Team sports
- Please advise SCA staff if you have a background in youth work or cultural awareness training
- Please advise SCA staff if you are bi-lingual
By applying to ACU Engagement for this opportunity, you acknowledge that your ACU email address and the information you provide in your application will be shared with the organisation that offers this opportunity. The organisation will keep your personal information confidential.