Sacred Heart, Fitzroy is a small primary school with big expectations. We embrace the challenge of providing a comprehensive learning program that will enable all our young people to fully participate in modern society. ACU and Sacred Heart partner to enhance the academic, social and emotional skills of students through literacy and education support programs.
The aim of the Read to Learn program is to help address any gaps in the children’s learning and support the social and emotional needs of students . Many of the children are Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD), coming from refugee backgrounds and have experienced significant disadvantage.
The Read to Learn program:
- provides a safe learning environment where children are supported by tutors to improve their literacy and numeracy skills and promote success in education.
- builds children’s educational aspirations through positive role-modelling and mentoring between the students of Sacred Heart and ACU.
- supports the Restorative Practices model utilised by the school to encourage the development of behaviour, social skills and resilience.
- provides opportunities for building connections to further social and emotional skills between the students of Sacred Heart and ACU.
- provides ACU students with first hand experience contributing to the growth and development of a child, a space to practice teaching methodology and opportunity to gain a deeper understanding of others.
ACU students will work one-on-one or in small groups with students from Sacred Heart to read books and complete literacy games. Tutors and students collaborate each week to build children’s confidence around their participation in education. In this tutoring / mentoring role, ACU students will be expected to coach and assist Sacred Heart students in their reading and increase their understanding of the English language.
The Read to Learn program operates within a school where most students are from refugee migrant backgrounds. ACU students must demonstrate their commitment to the inclusion, wellbeing, dignity and success of people from disadvantaged and/or marginalised communities.
As this role involves the supervision of children, all ACU students are required to have a current Working with Children Check prior to beginning the Read to Learn program.
When and where
Sacred Heart School, King William St, Fitzroy, Melbourne
3pm - 5pm each Monday during semester (including study week).
The compulsory Induction is held in Week 2 of each semester.
The program commences in Week 3 of each semester.
Before applying for this opportunity please ensure:
By applying to ACU Engagement for this opportunity, you acknowledge that your ACU email address and the information you provide in your application will be shared with the organisation that offers this opportunity. The organisation will keep your personal information confidential.