ACU students will have the opportunity to work alongside the experienced Vinnies Schools & Youth Team staff to create and further develop presentations, workshops and engagement opportunities for primary and secondary school children and youth (18 – 35 years old).
There may be an opportunity for students to accompany the Schools & Youth Team into schools to deliver those resources as workshops. As part of this placement opportunity students may also develop resources for gatherings and events. The students will also have the opportunity to visit different Vinnies service areas throughout Broken Bay, Sydney and Parramatta.
ACU students will work closely with the Schools & Youth Team to:
- provide resources to educate school children and youth;
- promote engagement opportunities with Vinnies;
- promote friendship, compassion, dignity and community;
- provide resources to engage school children and youth in a range of activities in a safe, supportive environment;
- develop skills through new social experiences enabling them to explore their talents and interests;
- develop new initiatives to make school children and youth aware of contemporary social justice issues;
- participate in activities and events alongside school children and youth to provide assistance to the Schools & Youth Team;
- develop a greater understanding of Vinnies services;
- enhance their own skills and capacity to be a positive role model to others;
- engage with other like-minded young adults to share ideas, create awareness of social justice issues and enact change in the local and broader community.
All students will be required to:
- Participate in a phone interview.
- Complete a Volunteer Application, providing the contact details of two referees.
- Provide a Working with Children Check Clearance.
Undertake a National Police Check through the St Vincent de Paul Society. After you register, the paperwork for the police check through Vinnies will be emailed to you.
- Undertake mandatory training.
When and where
Students can nominate their availability between Monday – Friday 9.30am – 4.30pm. Requirement that students complete a minimum of 35 placement hours. Preferrably students would complete 7 hours a week over 10 weeks to achieve 70 hours of placement.
Main venue will be the Vinnies Office at 32-36 Hampstead Road, Auburn. Other venues may include Maria Gordon House at Lewisham and Youth reach at Brookvale.
Applications are currently closed
Before applying for this opportunity please ensure:
In the 'Message' section of your application please note:
- Whether you have previously volunteered, or are currently volunteering, with the St Vincent de Paul Society.
By applying to ACU Engagement for this opportunity, you acknowledge that your ACU email address and the information you provide in your application will be shared with the organisation that offers this opportunity. The organisation will keep your personal information confidential.