Group61Companion volunteers work alongside Wesley Mission Queensland staff to support older people (Friends) that are socially isolated. With friendship, compassion and knowledge our volunteers build a friendship and walk alongside our Friends with the aim to support social connection and decrease social isolation.
Group61Companions exists to enable fullness of life through friendship with people experiencing social isolation. This includes:
- Supporting people affected by ageing and health issues living in the community;
- Collaborating with people affected by ageing and health issues in their journey to enhance well-being and inclusion
- Raising awareness of ageing and mental health issues in the community through training and education.
Visit the Group61Companion website
Students will be matched with an older Friend experiencing social isolation living in the community. You will meet regularly and engage in social activities with your Friend.
You will be required to communicate with Area Coordinator to ensure the volunteer/Friend relationship is continuing to meet the needs of the Friend and of your training expectations.You are also required to complete monthly report and submit it to Area Coordinator.
- Good interpersonal, communication and listening skills
- Acceptance and non-judgmental attitude, unconditional positive regard.
- Ability to accept and respect the choices of others.
- Respect for the different needs, values, beliefs and culture of others.
- Awareness of and commitment to the limits of the help Group61Companion volunteers provide.
- The ability to understand and respect confidentiality.
- The ability to maintain professional boundaries.
- A willingness to acquire probity checks (police check and yellow card) relevant to the position. All checks are provided and paid for by Wesley Mission Queensland and renewed when required.
- The ability and willingness to complete all training required within the position. Training will count towards total hours.
- The ability and willingness to provide regular, monthly reports to the Area Coordinator.
- Ability and willingness to work within the Philosophies, Policies and Procedures of Wesley Mission Queensland. All procedural documents will be provided to students during training or shortly after commencement.
- Students must be undertaking a unit which requires 20 or more community engagement placement hours.
When and where
Available in various locations in Brisbane North, Brisbane South and Gold Coast.
Various starting dates.
There are 60 placements available.
All applications are processed through InPlace.
Before applying for this opportunity, ensure:
Once satisfied that you comply with the above, click on the ‘Apply now’ button below and you will be taken to the InPlace webpage to process your application.
For information and tools on how to use InPlace, please refer to the guide and video links below:
Student Reference Guide (PDF, 1.2MB)
ACU InPlace - Student Navigation
ACU InPlace - Document Upload
If you are experiencing any issues with InPlace, please contact ACU Engagement: firstname.lastname@example.org