St Vincent de Paul are facilitating a new model of connecting mentor / volunteers with migrants that need assistance improving their Conversational English.
Outcomes of the program are:
- Increased proficiency in English
- Improved social skills and sense of social inclusion
- Increased networks and meeting new friends
- Greater access to employment & training opportunities
ACU students help run activities and one on one conversation with participants. Students are encouraged to come up with interesting topics for conversation each week. This program is beneficial for ACU students in further developing their cultural sensitivity and awareness through interacting with non-English speaking migrants. Students will also receive a deeper understanding the role of community organisations.
Students will be required to:
- Have a Working with Children Check Clearance;
- Consent to undertake a National Police Check through the St Vincent de Paul Society; and
- Undertake an interview.
When and where
Our Lady of Dolours meeting rooms, 96 Archer St, Chatswood
Every Thursday evening 6.30pm – 8.00pm
Applications will be accepted from mid-February.
Before you apply for this opportunity, please consider the time that the program runs and your availability to determine whether you will be able to complete an appropriate number of placement hours. If you would like to apply for this opportunity, but do not feel as though you can complete all your placement hours in this program, please ask your lecturer about whether you may split your placement hours between more than one organisation.
Please email your expression of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org
In your email please indicate:
- your student number;
- your community engagement unit;
- your availability to participate in this program;
- the number of placement hours you would like to complete with the St Vincent de Paul Society;
- the final date that you must complete your placement by (as per your Unit Outline and/or advice from your lecturer); and
- whether you have a Working With Children Check Clearance.