At Cultivating Community, we teach students how to grow their own food, reduce food waste and act sustainably.
Schools are increasingly recognising the benefits for students, staff and the community to have a food garden that is integrated into the curriculum. Our School Food Garden Program provides schools with a vibrant and productive food garden and outdoor classroom where one can tie all learning into the curriculum.
Originally a car park, this thriving food garden at Mother of God Primary School is now nine years old. Staff are very engaged in the program, making links back in the classroom, with some teachers cooking in class with the produce that is harvested from the garden.
Under the direction of the School Food Garden Educator, the primary focus of this volunteer role is to support in the delivery of the weekly School Food Garden Program.
- Support in garden maintenance and development including fostering a productive food garden
- Maintaining safe garden practices and promptly informing the School Food Garden Educator of any potential breaches of safety
- Working with small groups of students in garden based activities
- Assisting with events and workshops
Cultivating Community is a child-safe organisation. All volunteers are required to:
- provide a National Police Check
- provide a Working with Children Check (WWCC)
- provide two referees
- sign our Child Safety Policy prior to commencement
- complete the Cultivating Community Expression of Interest form
- attend a face-to-face or phone interview
- attend an induction.
Cultivating Community asks all volunteers to abide by our values policies and procedures as outlined in our Volunteer Agreement.
Significant policies and procedures include:
- Organisational Values
- Volunteer Policy and Procedures
- Child Safety Code of Conduct
- OHS Policies
When and where
Mother of God Primary School, 67 Blanche Street, Ardeer
Mondays 9:30am-3:30pm or 10:30am-1:30pm during school terms.
We ask for a minimum commitment of at least 1 school term.
Before applying for this opportunity please ensure:
By applying to ACU Engagement for this opportunity, you acknowledge that your ACU email address and the information you provide in your application will be shared with the organisation that offers this opportunity. The organisation will keep your personal information confidential.