Our After School Cooking classes create opportunities for kids living in public housing estates to learn how to grow and prepare food, reduce food waste and act sustainably. After school the kitchen bursts into life as the group of kids get down to chopping, mixing, baking and preparing a two-course feast based on fresh, seasonal, simple, delicious and affordable dishes. A team of dedicated volunteers and a project worker from Cultivating Community work with the children to prepare the meal, instilling vital life skills without the children really noticing, they just love to cook! The menu also reflects the tastes and cultures of the children who love to suggest favourites from home. Once the meal is prepared, everyone sits down at the long table to share in the food and complement each other on the various elements – it can get pretty chaotic but somehow a wonderful meal always emerges on the table!
Working under the direction of the After School Cooking Facilitator, the primary focus of the role is to assist in the delivery of the weekly After School Cooking Program at the Flemington Community Centre.
Task and duties include:
- Assisting the kids with recipe reading, food preparation, cleaning up, and setting up the space for the meal.
- Assisting children to develop their cooking and social skills.
- Promoting an appreciation of healthy, delicious food.
- Ensuring safe practices are maintained including safe and hygienic kitchen practices.
- Engaging with participants and ensuring that everyone has a job that they are comfortable with.
Cultivating Community is a child-safe organisation. All volunteers are required to:
Cultivating Community asks all volunteers to abide by our values policies and procedures as outlined in our Volunteer Agreement.
Significant policies and procedures include:
- Organisational Values
- Volunteer Policy and Procedures
- Child Safety Code of Conduct
- OHS Policies
When and where
Flemington Community Centre on the Flemington Public Housing Estate
The program runs every Tuesday from 3pm - 6pm during school terms.
Please note: Term 4 runs from 07/10/2019 – 20/12/2019.
The program will then recommence in February 2020.
The position is open to ongoing requests.
Once you submit an enquiry, you will be directed through the application process as follows:
- Complete an Expression of Interest form.
- Face-to-face or phone interview.
- If successful, an induction will take place as well as an exchange of required documentation before you begin the placement.
To enquire or apply for this opportunity, please email ACU Engagement.