Creating Chances provides internationally and nationally renowned best practice, evidence-based programs promoting positive youth development through sport.
Our programs are designed to actively engage young people through sessions in the classroom and on the field, with a focus on delivering the skills required to navigate life effectively and contribute to their communities as agents of positive social change.
Using sports to explore personal development, community building, social change and post-school pathways, our groundbreaking pathway allows children and young people to explore core skills in a fun and safe environment, and equips them with the tools required to achieve their goals in life.
Each Creating Chances program fits into a pathway of learning and experience to encourage ongoing development throughout school.
- For students in years 5 and 6, Springboardfocuses on creating resilient and positive learners prepared for their transition to high school.
- For students in years 7 to 9, Champions explores personal development, creating self aware and responsible learners.
- For students in years 9 and 10, Coaches trains young people to deliver fun sport sessions with nearby primary schools to create leaders and local school connections.
- For students in years 10 and 11, Game Changer creates advocates and active citizens through real-life project-based workshops.
- And for students in years 10 to 12, Future Pathways workshops create opportunities for post-school success with individual transition plans and skills portfolio.
Creating Chances also offers community-based programs and experiences for all ages to develop leadership and social skills, provide opportunities to participate in sport and community and introduce children to Creating Chances, including:
- After school Football United and Rugby in the Park programs
- Leadership camps
- Sports gala days for children
- Corporate workshops
- Youth advocacy events
Opportunities are numerous:
- Assist in planning and delivering Creating Chances programs in school – life skills through sport and games on and off the field
- Coach Football United or Rugby in the Park after school weekly programs
- Assist in the organisation and delivery of special events and gala days
- Assist in holiday programs or camps
- Assist with program evaluation activities
At present due to COVID-19, only limited programs are running. Tasks are likely to be office-based or in a school setting.
- WWC Check
- Interview with program management
- Complete our online internship form
- Comply with Creating Chances policies and procedures including code of conduct
- Ability to commit to a minimum of one full school term.
The success of our programs is because of the legends that deliver it! If you wish to do your placement with us, you have or work towards having these qualities:
Self-disciplined: Manages their own time with support from our team and can operate autonomously to achieve key outcomes
Collaborative: Works with others in a spirit of trust and teamwork; works with others to establish and achieve common goals
Culturally aware: Respects differences and values diversity; adapts processes and procedures to accommodate language and cultural differences
Organised: Strong organisational, planning and time management skills
Flexible: Adapts to changing circumstances and takes advantage of emerging opportunities
Full training and support are provided and Facilitator Training sessions are held regularly.
- Public speaking
- Sports coaching (or a willingness to learn)
- Education and youth work
- Ability to work with young people from diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds
- Highly motivated and energetic
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
When and where
During school terms we have several weekly programs running every day; before and after school as well as in school programs. We also have several special events, gala days, holiday programs and camps each year and during the school holidays.
- Central Coast
- Illawarra Regions
Please note the Central Coast is a priority area. Applicants who are available in the Central Coast region are strongly encouraged to apply.
Before applying for this opportunity please ensure:
By applying to ACU Engagement for this opportunity, you acknowledge that your ACU email address and the information you provide in your application will be shared with the organisation that offers this opportunity. The organisation will keep your personal information confidential.