St Vincent de Paul is facilitating a new model of connecting mentor/volunteers with migrants that need assistance in improving their conversational English.
Outcomes of the program are:
- Increased proficiency in English
- Improved social skills and a sense of social inclusion
- Increased networks and meeting new friends
- Greater access to employment & training opportunities
ACU students help run activities and one on one conversation with participants. Students are encouraged to come up with interesting topics for conversation each week. This program is beneficial for ACU students in further developing their cultural sensitivity and awareness through interacting with non-English speaking migrants. Students will also receive a deeper understanding of the role of community organisations.
Students will be required to:
- Have a Working with Children Check Clearance.
- Undertake a National Police Check through the St Vincent de Paul Society. After you register, the paperwork for the police check through Vinnies will be emailed to you.
- Undertake an interview.
When and where
Our Lady of Dolours meeting rooms, 96 Archer St, Chatswood
Every Thursday evening 6.30pm – 8.00pm
Before applying for this opportunity please ensure:
By applying to ACU Engagement for this opportunity, you acknowledge that your ACU email address and the information you provide in your application will be shared with the organisation that offers this opportunity. The organisation will keep your personal information confidential.