The Clemente Learning Partner assists a student studying one university-level humanities subject each semester. Learning Partners develop mentoring arrangements with students to assist in assignment presentation, clarification of lecture material and basic computing skills.
- Provide a student with support, encouragement and study skill assistance (help with organisational skills, essay writing, internet searches, research and library use)
- Assist the student to develop complementary skills required by the course
- Pursue the above tasks in the context of a developing relationship by engendering trust and building self-esteem
- Compliance with organisational policies and procedures, legislation, Work Health and Safety, environment and diversity and a commitment to quality systems and continuous improvement.
To be accepted for this placement, students are required to:
- Be available to complete their placement over a semester period.
- Be in their second or third year of their university studies.
- Have a current and valid National Criminal History Record Check.
- Participate in an interview prior to starting their placement.
- Undertake induction/training with the ACU Clemente team.
Successful applicants will:
- Have computer literacy at a level to assist with internet research and formatting assignments.
- Have general research and library skills.
- Have good communication skills - written and verbal with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Have mentoring skills in encouraging personal development in others.
- Possess an ability to interact and deal sensitively with students from different backgrounds who may be dealing with issues such as homelessness, drug or alcohol addiction, mental health or other disabilities.
- Be aligned with and have empathy for people from all community sectors.
- Have a high ethical standard, be trustworthy and maintain confidentiality, work well individually and within a team.
- Be considerate and respectful of others and their views and adapt to changing environments.
- Be enthusiastic and project a positive image with good attention to detail, efficiency and effectiveness.
- Display a commitment to the ACU Mission and Identity.
When and where
Holy Family Parish Centre - 252-254 Luxford Rd Emerton NSW 2770
Note: Best access to Parish Centre, where classes are held is from:
11 Emert Parade
Monday 9:45am – 2:00pm
A maximum of 6 placements will be available per semester at the Mt Druitt site. This program will usually provide 40 - 50 hours of placement and applications close Friday 6 March 2020.
Before you apply for this opportunity, please consider the dates that the program operates and your availability to determine whether you will be able to complete an appropriate number of placement hours. If you would like to apply for this opportunity, but do not feel as though you can complete all your placement hours in this program, please ask your lecturer about whether you may split your placement hours between more than one organisation.
To apply for this placement, please email ACU Engagement. In your email, please include:
- Your student number;
- Your community engagement unit;
- Whether you are in your in second or third year of university studies;
- The number of community engagement hours you are looking to complete in this program;
- Your availability to complete your placement at the days and times given above;
- Your availability to undertake the placement for a full semester;
- The final date that you must complete your placement by (as per your Unit Outline and/or advice from your lecturer); and
- Whether you have a current and valid National Criminal History Record Check.